Attention all Herb Growers.

For all softwood Herbs.

Cut Them 1 inch (2.5 cm) from the ground every 4 months.

Remove all Foliage and just leave stalks.

This maintains vigour and quality and hygiene.

They will re-grow.

Problems occur mainly when gardeners don't follow this rule.

By doing this ever 4 months many Bacterial , Fungal and Pest Issues are solved.

As is Bolting to seed.

Give a liquid Fertiliser with a higher ratio of nitrogen after cutting.

herbs are mainly leaf.

Rememer:

N=Nitrogen = Leaf and Stem and Etiolation of Growth I.e Stretching between inter-nodes.

K=Potassium, like sulphate of potash = Flowers and Fruit , Shorter closer inter-nodes

The ratios of Nitrogen and Potassium in your feed can control the type of stretch of a plant via inter-node length.

P=Phosphorus = roots. Healthy Roots and root veges.

imafan26
Mod

I would add if you have mint and it looks full, it is probably time to divide it. Check to see if the roots are winding around the pot. If the roots are going around, it will soon choke itself.

Some other things like chives, lemon grass, thyme that either grow in clumps or from a central stem, eventually need to be divided or the center will die out.

Flowers

What are softwood herbs? I've had nothing but problems with my mint, lemon thyme, and oregano. Is this the problem perhaps?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All of those would count and would benefit from being cut back some from time to time. Mostly I just cut back by harvesting. But personally I would never completely defoliate any green plant. The plant gets its energy from the leaves. When I harvest, I only take 1/3 to 1/2 of the stem, depending on how big the plant is.

Flowers

Yeah, I haven't been harvesting much since they started looking unhealthy. I'll give them a trim today.

imafan26
Mod

All of those herbs do better if they are trimmed regularly.

In pots, mint will wind around the pot and choke itself. Usually if it looks full, it needs dividing

Thyme and oregano will layer but the center will become woodly over time. Keeping them trimmed cuts down on woody bare centers. I will also make cuttings or ground layer the younger branches becuase eventually , the center will die out.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”