NJ Bob
Cool Member

oregano weirdness

So I saved what I had perceived to be seed from some Italian oregano from last year. I laid down some seed in a 6-pack on Jan. 16 and to my pleasant surprise they sprouted up nicely. I put a second batch down on Feb. 1 and so far, nothing.

I'm kind of at a loss why my first batch sprouted but my second hasn't. I'm sure it didn't take 2 weeks for the first batch. Any thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So what happened different between batch 1 and batch 2?

Oregano seed needs warmth and light for germination. Soil should be 70-75 degrees and the seeds should not be covered, just lightly pressed down to be in contact with the soil.

So were these conditions achieved better the first time?

NJ Bob
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:So what happened different between batch 1 and batch 2?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. :? I have a heating mat set to 75 degrees. I just stirred the seeds in a little bit. I'm going to try another batch this weekend.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't stir them in. Lay them gently on top of the soil surface and very lightly press on them, just so they are in contact with the soil. Then make sure they have plenty of light and do not dry out until they have sprouted. I bottom water but also for seeds sitting on the surface like that, lightly sprinkle them with water 1-2 times daily, so they don't dry out.

NJ Bob
Cool Member

So I should have them on a heating mat and under a grow light?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, heat and light.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'll throw in my 2 seeds worth. I tend to over seed, especially something like oregano when I want several stems per peat pellet. I sprinkle on top of dampened and roughed pellet, tamp down. Then put in seed start area (see my thread on seed start with pics). There's no extra light until after germination, which is 5 -6 days. Then bumped up to more light, natural and electric. Night temps in the 60's, day up in 70's between furnace, lights, and if lucky sun. A heat mat would perhaps shave off a couple of days.
Fast forward to bigger starts with true leaves. I thin 1 -2 times with tweezers, trying for several stems per pellet. Then when they go to 3.5" pot put in 2 pellets. The longest time factor for me is getting them from new plants to nice oregano starts, 2 -3 months.

For seeds I purchase new. Now I am aiming for oregano -Greek. I admit to overbuying when I see them on the rack now, as they may not be there later! I do (try to) sell starts at the farmers market. Oregano is one I can use for winter Windowsill Herbs so need them 12 months.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”