Flowers

What Kind of Fertilizer for My Oregano and Mint?

I just repotted my oregano and mint plants today, and feel like they should be fertilized now in order to help them get established in their new pots. What kind of fertilizer should I use for these plants? I read online that oregano doesn't need fertilized much after transplanting, and I definitely don't think the mint will need more than one little boost, but I'd love to hear what you guys recommend. Thanks again!

applestar
Mod

What did you use to repot them with? I usually don't fertilize immediately after repotting partly because they are stressed but mostly because the fresh potting mix will contain enough nutrients for about a month to a month and a half, maybe two months.

Herbs really don't need a lot of fertilizer since too much will tend to make them produce less of the aromatic elements that make them useful.

I have been watering with willow water -- bark and tips/leaves steeped in de-chlorinated water -- for newly uppotted/repotted plants and newly started seedlings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with applestar. If there is any fertilizer in your potting soil or if it has much organic ingredients like compost, you definitely don't need to add anything else for herbs.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Flowers, I presume you have these herbs/pots inside?! Agree with above, but will add a couple of notes from my experience. (I do grow herbs for the market, and now adding more starts)

Herbs, and other plants, grown inside don't need much, but a nudge won't hurt especially if snipping stems for cooking. My preferred boost for seedlings, the 4" pots, and anything else I see around is Johns Recipe (3 - 1.5 -2). Hard to over do or burn with that!

Flowers

I potted them in a regular organic potting mix from Lowe's. It doesn't appear to contain any fertilizer, but the mix seemed very rich and dark, so I decided not to add any fertilizer like you guys suggested. The oregano looks amazing, and the mint only suffered a tiny bit of transplant shock (some wilting in the top leaves), but has many new runners and is now doing great (other than a bug problem that I'm about to post a new topic regarding). Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I didn't go out and buy fertilizer, these plants are growing excellently.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”