Flowers

Tiny White Bugs On My Oregano?

Yesterday I started noticing some signs of an insect problems on my oregano plant (munch marks on the leaves and brown edges), but I kind of ignored it to see where it led to.

Today I found a bunch of tiny little white egg looking things on the leaves, as well as one little white bug. I'll attach some photos. I sprayed them all off with water (I've read that's what you do to aphids), but I'm wondering what they are and what you guys recomend I do if they come back.

Also, this plant is on a windowsill with some other herbs (mint, lemon thyme, and german chamomile). Should I isolate it from the other plants to avoid the bugs spreading? So far I haven't noticed anything on the other plants.

Thanks a bunch!
Attachments
photo(8).JPG
photo(7).JPG
photo(6).JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think that they are more likely to be whiteflies

https://thomascountyag.files.wordpress.c ... eflies.jpg

or mealybugs

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn ... ybug08.jpg

than aphids. But it doesn't really matter much, because the treatment for all three is pretty much the same. Spritz them off with a hard spray of water (for indoors, get a little squirter bottle that has fine nozzle to make hard spray) or spray them with insecticidal soap like Safer's or just soapy water. Mealybugs and aphids can be dabbed with Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Whiteflies are less likely to hold still and let you do that.

Don't over-fertilize your plants (I don't fertilize indoor plants while they are indoors at all). Tender, juicy new growth is most attractive to juice sucking bugs like this and most vulnerable to their attack.

applestar
Mod

I agree. The brown line leaf in first photo looks like the leaf was accidentally pressed against the edge of the pot and bruised. :idea:

Flowers

Thank you! Based on the photo, I think it's definitely white flies. I'll let you know if the condition changes

imafan26
Mod

Look under the leaf for white fly eggs they are usually laid in spiral patterns

lily51
Greener Thumb

White flies usually do just that when you disturb them, fly.
As many that are here you would surely notice some activity
Try yellow sticky traps to avoid pesticides. They worked for me several years ago when I had just a fee on some poinsettias.
You could try been oil to get rid of then, too.
Around here we just call them "the fly"
Something you really don't want to see.

imafan26
Mod

Yes, they are notoriously pesticide resistant. Purple ladybugs do eat them, so there are biological controls. Usually, if I have the plant in a gallon pot or less, I prefer to dip them in horticultural oil instead. It gets better coverage than with sprays. Hosing the eggs off regularly help too. The adults are harder to control since they will just fly off when you spray, but sticky traps will help. Getting rid of the eggs and nymphs are the best way I know to control their numbers.

They like my hibiscus, peppers and some weeds. With the hibiscus, I cut it back, the weeds, I wish the white flies would do more damage to them, I just have to try and pull as much of it out as I can. Peppers so far have been relatively unscathed but I do hose off the undersides of the leaves everytime I water.

Flowers

I just sprayed off the flies and eggs the first two days after I noticed them and trimmed down the bushy growth where I was noticing them so they would have less places to hide and settle in. I haven't seen any more in the past two days, but if they reappear ill try the sticky traps and oil stuff. Thanks for all the advice!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”