rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

over-wintering rosemary

I had some old threads on this topic (or at least old posts) but couldn't find them. When I first started trying, I had trouble getting rosemary to survive the winter indoors. I finally discovered the combination that works for me: sandy soil (e.g. cactus mix), very little water, the best light I can give it, and regular misting for humidity.

With that regime, I had two rosemary plants that were thriving and growing since they came indoors this season. Then Christmas came. The best houseplant spot is in front of the big picture window, where there are also windows on the adjacent wall. I put the most light-needing plants there WITH a multi-head floor lamp (about like this, with the goosenecks bent down and shined on individual plants:)

BUT that picture window is where the Christmas tree goes. So all 9 of the containers that were there, got moved to other spots, of which I don't have very many! The lamp got moved to a different window corner. One of the rosemary plants got moved there, so it still has its own personal light shining on it. But there already were a bunch of containers in that corner, so not everything could go there. The other rosemary plant just got stuck in front of a window. It's a mostly south facing window, but the neighbors big house is just about 15' away. And Cincinnati in this season has very little ambient light anyway, short GRAY days. Within a week, that rosemary was brown and dead, while the other one continues to thrive. The only thing that changed was the light.

So that's an object lesson in what it takes to overwinter rosemary indoors.

applestar
Mod

Oh no! So sorry you lost one. :(
It's was a good idea not to put them together though. That's one of the things I do when I have more than one... In hopes that one of them will survive. :P

Another very important factor is the temperature-light relationship. If kept in cooler temp, they can tolerate lower light levels -- especially if allowed to slowly acclimate to the lower temperature so it can go dormant (undergo physiological changes to state of "hibernation")

This year, I have one plant in the same spot as last winter -- in the garage currently hovering in the 40's though will go down to 30's and dip down into mid-upper 20's in depth of winter. It sits on a stand to the SIDE of the garage V8 nursery lights so it really isn't getting a whole lot of bright light. It's leaves looks sort of stiff but not brittle or dried out. I mist it occasionally and water it pretty thoroughly when sandy soil mix (yes absolutely agree!) looks dry. Not enough for the water to come out of the bottom, but almost.

2nd plant is in the "farthest from the house thermostat" location, on the floor, where daytime temps are generally in the mid-60's or below and overnight temps are usually in the 50's. In the depth of the winter, it will actually get down to upper 40's. It's a little way away from a t-12 shoplight, with a reflective surface behind it and a window two feet above it so no direct sunlight in the winter. This one is misted thoroughly every morning or every other morning along with the other plants, and probably gets watered once a week or maybe a little more frequently. This is another proven spot for overwintering rosemary, so I'm sticking with it.

When you start your first seeds, you might want to try taking cuttings from the remaining rosemary, rainbowgardener. When I tried, I think I had about 50% success rate so take extra cuttings, though you might do better. They will need a spot on the heat mat. I think cutting grown rosemary would be further along than seed started ones by early spring when they are ready to start sending out new shoots. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Besides that, the rosemary plant you have maybe a better choice for the kitchen than the one you can grow from seed. After taking cuttings, rooting hormone helps.

I used to keep my rosemary plants in the middle of a basement room, on the floor. It isn't very cool in that room. The furnace is in there. However, it was the only basement location that received any sunlight - and then, just briefly. It was just barely "good enuf."

After a winter when half of my rosemary plants died :?, I decided to begin keeping the rosemary in my greenhouse. The heat is not turned on until March. Although, we have had warm winters lately, it has been below zero several times.

The plants sit on the floor and I cover them with another sheet of plastic film when it is forecast to be 15°f, overnight. If the forecast is for below 0°, a tarp goes over them as well. They may stay under the plastic film for several days but any days with clear skies will allow the sunlight to warm the greenhouse quite a lot.

Haven't lost a one in the winters since I started doing this! The plants do seem to age fairly quickly, potted up year-round. New cuttings need to be taken every few years. I do that in the spring when they begin to grow. They go under a bench so as to be out of direct sunlight and don't make all that much growth the first year. It helps to have other rosemary plants, that are a year or two older, for that year's use by the cook.

:) Steve

Susan W
Greener Thumb

There are several factors with rosemary, and it seems to be a win some/lose some plant. Even though it likes drier well drained conditions, you may have not fed & watered enough, especially in a container. They can take a fair amount of watering. As your one plant went south in 1 week, think there may have been other issues.
I have one older rosemary in the ground, and it took a set -back last winter with the cold, and still isn't pretty. As we get near 60" rain/year, it can take some watering! I even water extra a day before harvesting for market if it hasn't rained, and the leaves get softer and nicer. I have found they often don't make it in containers over winter, but those are too big to bring in. They get the same whatever-soil mix as other herbs, watering, and fish emulsion (alaska brand, not stinky) every 3-4 weeks. This past year I got 2 decent size starts in large 16" containers early on, and hope by now they have a good root system to sustain the winter. As you are having to bring yours in, remember to have a container that is deep to accommodate the deep root system.

I have several rosemary starts going, seeded last spring/summer. They're in 4" pots, and have made it down to mid 20's in a sheltered area. Hopefully some will make it to March or so and I can up pot to qts and let them put on new growth.

Aya

I came here looking for help regarding overwintering my Rosemary. It seemed to be doing fine at first when I brought it inside, but it has slowly started going downhill I notice. About ten days ago it started shooting out long, leggy new growth for some reason ( I don't have it under lights and I only water a couple times a month.) I pruned that off, gave it a good water and went about my day. A couple of days ago I noticed the leaves have become quite dry and brittle, and they are slowly turning brown; a mere brush with your hand sends them scattering. Is there any hope for keeping her alive or am I doomed to starting over? Currently in a medium sized pot, with the organic seed starter it came in last year along with some run-of-the-mill organic potting soil. I live in an apartment with a small deck and it doesn't get much colder than high 30's - low 40's in the winter. Was I under the false impression that Rosemary grew into a tree/shrub at maturity?
Attachments
20141229_091347.jpg
20141229_091140.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hmmm.... You might have been able to just leave it outside. Rosemary should be fine at 35°F or above. You didn't show the potting mix you planted it in and it might be too dense or too much peat/acid and not enough sand/gravel/perlite. I also suspect that container like that would not have sufficient number and big enough drainage holes. Also you have it on a table or a counter which is probably too warm.

In addition to the brown, the leaves look too light yellow -- not enough light I think, and it could also be spidermites sucking the color out of it.

The symptom you describe is a bad sign and it might not turn around, but we can try.
-- First tell us what kind of potting mix it's in.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Sorry you lost that one, Aya. Check my post above, and it infers not uncommon for the rosemary to go south. Suggestion for next season.
Get a nice decent sized pretty start (or 2) when they come in at the garden centers. I like a larger pot (one factor yours may have had problems). As mentioned above, need some depth for the deep root system. 10" diameter pot as a start. Pot choice up to you. I use plastic pots from the box store as I have lots, and large (over 100). I love the plain clay terra cotta, but they flake, peal, break with winter weather, and the large ones are heavy! As you are in a small area, may be looking more at the looks of the pot, and you don't get the real freeze that busts clay. Leave it out 12 months, and it likes sun. Assuming it isn't getting direct rain, don't forget to water it!

Hope this helps.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Seattle is sometimes called the Emerald City. So, Seattle would have zone 8 winter cold and a maritime climate.

That wouldn't be very much hardiness to expect from rosemary. It may have been fine outdoors to simply sink the pot in the ground or partially bury it in a mulch.

I'm only a few hundred miles away but those are "Evergreen State" miles of brown rolling hills, and dry bunchgrass and white sage semi-desert, with some mountain peaks well above the tree line.

:) Steve

Aya

I'm attaching a picture of the potting mix I used when I up-potted it from the container it came in. My balcony is uncovered (top floor) Guess I need to pay more attention to soil/growing medium for each plant. This soil mixture I used does tend to get compacted pretty easily, and I used the same for all of my plants - might have something to do with my less than grand yield this year?
Attachments
BG-Natural-and-Organic-225x300.jpg
BG-Natural-and-Organic-225x300.jpg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rosemary likes soil that is sandier and more alkaline than that.. Cactus mix works well.

imafan26
Mod

I'm sorry you lost your rosemary. I'm glad my rosemary is happy year round outside in its' pot. I may have to do something about the pot soon, or it may crack it.

applestar
Mod

If the picture you posted is recent (within last week) I think it still might have a chance.
I would repot, loosening the soil mix from the roots and replacing with 2 parts potting soil mixed with 1 part coarse sand (all purpose or cast concrete patio block underlayment (no additives) or cactus sand/gravel.

Then water well, allow to drain completely (nothing in the catch tray) and put it in coolest, brightest place you have. Put it outside after 1 week as long as temperature is in the 40's to 50's or warmer, and gradually acclimate it to stay outside unless overnight temperature is predicted to fall below 35°F (put a thermometer or remote thermometer sensor where you are keeping the rosemary outside). If in doubt, put it inside just inside the door/window before going to bed, and put it back outside in the morning. Water thoroughly when soil mix feels dry when testing with finger in soil mix to first joint.

It's a lot of work and coddling, but might be worth your while if you have the patience for it. I have too many plants to give them all the VIP treatment, but usually pick a few to treat royally just to prove to myself that I could. :()

Aya

Thanks for the tips guys, what is the potential size for a fully mature Rosemary plant/bush? I'd like to have it grow and eventually put it in the ground (when I get a house/yard). I'll make the adjustments and see if it survives!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In your kind of climate, planted in the ground, it can grow in to an evergreen shrub, 3-5 feet tall and wide. In my climate, it never gets anything like that big, because I have to grow it in a pot and bring it in for the winter.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”