River

Growing Lavender, Sage, & English Thyme in Containers

I picked up 2 sweet lavender plants 2 English tymes and one common sage
I want to put them in containers as well. What size container and can I mix them, plant seperately etc. thanks

Btw I bought these because I understand they should handle our winters in zone 8B. Plus they
We're a good price.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they will all be winter hardy for you. All of them are actually hardy for me here in zone 6, except that the very hard winter we had last year killed all my [English] lavender, which is normally hardy here, but kind of at its limit. I think sweet lavender is pretty cold hardy too.

Sweet lavender will need a big container to itself.. It gets to be a good sized shrub, two feet tall and wide with another two feet of flower spikes sticking up. Were you wanting to grow these as culinary herbs?
I found this about sweet lavender:

This fast growing lavender is not suitable for cooking because of its high menthol content.
https://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/la ... phylla.htm

Thyme can trail down the outside, so can go in pots with other things.

All of them need very well draining soil, more like cactus mix.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

It looks like all, lav, thyme and sage have about the same environmental needs. I don't know what sweet lav is, just the usual munstead, hidcote etc. I may have mentioned elsewhere, I don't start these in pots this late, but you may do better. Once established a different story. One suggestion is to put the lav & sage in a very large pot, if all make, may need to remove and re-pot one next season. The thyme will get over taken, so put in its own home.
A side note is the larger the pot, the more resiliance to moisture and temp variables.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”