River

Winter herbs

I went by a nursery today that is very large but they will sell retail
I pick up a Italian parsley, curly parsley, Rosemary upright, the last one I think was thyme not sure it has yellow and green leaves maybe sage. The owner was helping me and there were other customers that weren't small time like me so I grabbed what I could.

My question can I plant any of these in the same pot

I would think the parsleys should be separated. The owner doesn't know all the answers he just grows what the local herb society request they do a large fundraiser in the fall and spring and he just grows what they request

I did go to the fundraiser but they were out of the plants I purchased today

I forgot to add I have large containers 22 inch across with 1 broccoli or 1 cauliflower in each one can I use any of the herbs in those containers
I am running out of space

imafan26
Mod

The parsley are biennials and like the same conditions so they can go together. They like moist deep soil. the root will grow like a carrot or parsnip so it likes root space. They like part sun to sun. In my hotter climate they are happier in partial shade.

Rosemary, sage and thyme are all plants that like the sun and well drained soil. They are perennials. They can go together, but I keep rosemary by itself because it is the biggest and longest lived of the plants upwards of 20+ years. In the ground they can live on rain once they are established, but in a pot you need to water them regularly and up pot as needed.

Herbs with gray or gray green leaves are usually sun loving and do not like to be over watered. Sage, thyme, oregano, marjoram, can go together in pots. Sage is an upright or mounding plant and thyme and oregano can be allowed to cascade over the side of the pot. Marjoram is also more upright.

You could put the parsley in with the broccoli or cauliflower, but I don't like to put plants that won't come out at the same time together, it just makes it easier to start over in the pot. I would under plant the broccoli with cilantro which doesn't mind partial shade (at least where I am) and will be ready to be pulled the same time as the broccoli.

In fact, all of the herbs you selected are good companions to the cabbage family. And even if not in the same pot are good nearby.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Hmm, kinda guessing here. I do have well over 100 containers, mostly herbs (for market) so have some handle on this, sorta. You may need to buy a couple more pots, 12" plus. Put the parsleys together. They'll winter, not sure if they'll stay green for you all winter. If they do go down some, will bounce back by Feb-March. Rosemary needs its own home. The ones I have had either potted late or in too small pot have not made it, but you are warmer than my zone 7. It's a dice roll! The other, sage or thyme? Give it/them their own space. May keep color all winter, or may go down for a few weeks. Both are hardy, but this is late to plant.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”