Susan W
Greener Thumb

Pineapple sage

I have 2 pineapple sage plants blooming red like crazy now! Oh so pretty to have something blooming late in the season, and much appreciated by our winged friends. We are borderline for it wintering. Last year the one in ground that is several years old came through fine, and just gets bigger. Remind me to thin it out next spring! One in a large container east side of house, somewhat sheltered usually does fine. I can't remember if this is an older plant, or a new one I put in last spring. For this display is worth getting a new plant in spring!

The 2 Mexican sage plants at the curb are doing their thing now with velvety purple blooms. This is another borderline plant for us. The blooms are covered with honey bees and some bumble bees. Usually I get a few hummingbirds and monarchs stopping on their way south, but missing both this year.

imafan26
Mod

The pineapple sage in the herb garden blooms nearly year round. It is a white fly trap so, it had problems earlier, but they are under control now after the ladybug population got high enough to eat them. Maybe I can get some cutting now that it is healthier.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”