AngeeJoJo

What to do with pot herbs in winter?

It's fall, and very soon winter will be here. I don't know what to do with the herbs on the balcony, we really don't have space for them inside our tiny condo. I can bring in the basil and chocolate mint, but the lemon verbena has grown to 3 feet high, no space for it inside.

Can I leave these plants outside? Especially the lemon verbena, I spent lots time caring for?

I have two chocolate mint, two lavender, one lemon verbena and more. Any suggestions?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Harvest and dry your herbs. Allow them to go to seed so you can harvest seeds for next spring. Most herbs are annuals. Basil is definitely an annual. IDK about the lemon verbena - not something I grow. Mint is a weed. If it is in a hanging basket bring it in and hang it where it will get the most sun from the patio door. You need to ask Rainbow Gardener about the lavender.

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

It would be a good idea to update your profile with your zone and location. If you live in a warm enough zone, some herbs will be fine outside. Lemon verbena can be cut back if you have to take it inside. Dry the leaves to save them for tea.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO Imafan on updating your profile with a more detailed location.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed that we can't really tell you what can stay out in the winter, without knowing where you are and how cold your winter is.

Mint is pretty hardy and could probably stay out, depending on where you are and the exposure of your balcony. A north facing balcony will be much colder and windier than a south facing balcony, which will get a lot more winter sun (assuming of course you are in the northern hemisphere!).

Lavender is hardy in the ground for me here in zone 6, usually. Last winter we had exceptional cold and my lavender all died.

As noted, basil is an annual and not really worth trying to keep going through the winter. If you never let it flower, you can keep it alive, but it gets very woody and sparse.

Lemon verbena is very tender, only hardy to zone 9, which is far south. Otherwise, cut it back sharply and bring it in. Much more important to bring the verbena in than the mint.

Things you are leaving out do better in bigger pots. Once they are dormant, snug them up against the house wall for a little extra warmth.

What else?

applestar
Mod

Basil is easy to allow to go to seed and save seeds, then grow from those seeds. If you have more than one plant, choose one or two to go to seed, and continue to harvest from the other ones, then if you bring inside, you could probably enjoy at least another month of fresh leaves.

Mint is really simplest to take cuttings and propagate for insurance, then leave the rest outside in a sheltered location against the house wall and half buried and mulched.

Lavender's survival will depend on variety. If English lavender, more likely to survive the winter. Make sure it's not where it can get soggy from sitting in puddles or get excessively rained on.

Lemon Verbena as noted must be brought inside. I always cut back hard by about 1/3 about a month before first frost (probably about now) and choose the sturdiest best pieces semi-green branches and green but stiffened branches for propagating from cuttings for insurance. Then the mother plant can be (dug up and potted if in ground) allowed to go dormant (let it experience frost but not hard freeze) then kept in a location that hovers near freezing but not lower than upper 20's. Cuttings need to be kept warm, etc. we can go over that. It's not easy like mint, but it's not super hard either. Hardest part is that lemon verbena is extremely susceptible to aphid and spider mite infestation -- it's when they are budding and growing new shoots that they are most vulnerable.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I live in zone5, so many perennial herbs in warm climates are not perennial here. Last winter took about half of all my lavenders. Rosemary can be potted and brought inside if you have the place for it, then put it out next spring. Mine lasted 3 years this way, spending winter in the closed in porch, mostly ignored, kept slightly watered until it warmed up.
It still looks nicer when newly bought and planted each year.

Oregano is a perennial here, some years coming back strong, some not. Mints are usually hardy, but last winter got my chocolate mint.
Thyme is a perennial, too, and needs a dormant period.

If you want kitchen herbs, many kinds like basil, thyme, chives, etc are easy to find at stores and keep in a sunny window to use during the winter.

Have fun experimenting. I do love herbs! :D

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”