SabrinaH
Newly Registered

Dying sage

I bought a healthy looking sage and planted it in a good sized pot outside in an area that gets light most of the day. The second day it was completely wilted. The fourth day it was looking rather crispy. I put it in a smaller pot and put it on a well-lit windowsill inside, but it hasn't faired any better. It's gotten plenty of water so I don't think that's the problem. Am I watering too much? I live in Northern California by the way.

My mint, rosemary, and catnip aren't doing well either. The rosemary dried up these last couple days and the mint isn't looking as well as it did when I bought it, but is doing the best out of all of them. The catnip (it's indoors) is wilted.

Why are they dying? Is it too late for the sage? How can I keep a new sage plant alive?

imafan26
Mod

I have the same problem. Most of the time it is over watering. It is not forgiving when that happens. If you pot it up the mix must be well draining.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sage and rosemary are desert plants. They need sandy, very well drained soil and very little water. If you are using something like the moisture holding potting soil, you are killing them. If they are in pots, try something like cactus mix. They like a lot of sun and won't do well indoors. Mint and catnip are much more shade and moisture tolerant.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”