Foxtrot_01
Newly Registered

Basil transplant for a newbie

Hello all, first time posting. I bought a small basil plant from the local supermarket. The pot is the size of the Styrofoam cup, should I transplant it on a bigger pot? I have a pot with soil the size of a bucket that I can use to transplant it. I live in North Carolina so I intend to bring it indoors as soon as it gets cold out.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sorry, this is my first time :-)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You need an indoor herb grower to comment on how to keep basil happy thru the winter.

I don't do that but, again this year, have quite a lot outdoors. A good place for basil is the "shady corner" where there is a good deal of afternoon shade. That makes me think that your plant may be okay in the usual low light conditions, indoors.

The size of basil almost seems to be dependent on the room it has to grow. Crowd it with other plants or restrict its roots in a small container and basil can live out its life cycle as a small plant. Give it some room and it can easily be 10 times as large.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, definitely a bigger pot. Basil is an annual which is done when it completes its life cycle. By preventing it from completing its life cycle (not letting it bloom or produce seed,) you can keep it going longer. But I have not had very good results over wintering basil (but those were seeds planted in the spring, so by winter they were already older than the plant would get left to its own devices). You need the brightest indoor spot you can manage and/or supplemental lighting.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I transplanted my basil to a bigger pot and now it looks wilted, what can I do to perk it back up? It was in one of thse orange pots that they give you seeds in and it looked like it was ready to be put in a bigger pot. Please help!

imafan26
Mod

Before I transplant, I make sure the plant is well watered first and pot up in moist not dry or soggy media. If it is pot bound, I will score but not break up the root ball.

Except for tomatoes always plant at the same depth the plant was in the original pot and don't bury the stem.

Water well afterwards to get the air out or the roots will air prune.

If the plant is wilted there may be some transplant shock, it should come up in a day. After it comes up give it s some B1 if you haven't already.

applestar
Mod

Like imafan said, watering well first is a good idea for most plants including basil (there are a few exceptions though).

I like using willow leaf and bark "tea" to boost them after shock or when stressed by disease or pests. Make sure to keep the plants in dappled shade for 24 hrs after transplanting even if it used to be in full sun.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”