eliorga
Newly Registered

White and black spots on Oregano and Micromeria Fruticosa

Hi guys,

It seems like something is destroying my herbs and it keeps infesting!!
I have white spots on my herbs, and they seem pretty organized like something alive is causing it.
I notice black small dots near the white ones, but not sure how these things can cause what I see.

I've attached pictures of the phenomena.

Its getting worse and worse every day - I could use some help fast.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks fellow garden lovers ^_^
Attachments
20140725_171250.jpg
20140725_170809.jpg
20140725_170655.jpg
20140725_193402.jpg
20140725_193336.jpg
20140725_193301.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

At first, I thought maybe leaf miners, but when you look at the pictures in close up, they are clearly dots not lines.

It is the damage of some kind of sucking insect. At a guess the black dots, which I couldn't see very much are also leavings from the insect - its castings/ excrement.

So you need to find your insect. Look the plants over very carefully, especially undersides of the leaves and leaf-stem joints. If you don't find anything scratch around in the surface of the soil. If you still haven't found anything come back at night with a flashlight and repeat the actions.

In the meantime if you blend up garlic and hot peppers in water until they are pureed as fine as you can get them. Then strain the solids out, dilute and spray your plants, again including the undersides of leaves. It should help keep insects away from your plants.

Here's a recipe: https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/2013/0 ... llent.html

eliorga
Newly Registered

Hi,

Thank you very much for your prompt response :-)

I was sure that it was some kind mites (the black stuff) but after what you wrote I took an other look at the pictures and it seems that I did CAUGHT something live while taking the picture!!
Can you please check the first picture of the micromeria? (4th picture from the top) now when you open it = zoom in on the eaten leaf, there you can see some kind of transparent insect kinda look like ant.

What do you think?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi! I think it's thrips. The damage is consistent with that. They leave poop like that, too.

I first thought it was leaf miner, but them I looked closer. I agree it's not leaf miner.

Neem oil works for thrips.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

el, I feel your pain. Where are you? Is the oregano in pots or ground?

A couple years ago I was noticing this (white spots). Not leaf minors with squiggly lines, something else. As I pick and sell fresh cut herbs at a farmers market somewhat concerned. I did carry some sprigs to the extension office/master gardeners. 1st response was insects don't bother herbs. OK, keep my cool. One person did look more closely and sent me on my way. One can imagine my opinion of the M G's about then! Stopped at a garden center. Yup! you got something, don't know what it is! Other market vendors no help (they don't do herbs either).

I pick out and trash the worst, mainly for cosmetic, and figured might get rid of some buggers. After a couple of years see they like oregano (out in containers), new baby starts of monarda and oregano and a few other things. Sigh.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I was actually thinking thrips, although I didn't manage to put that in my post. They are hard to see, being about 1 mm long.

eliorga
Newly Registered

Hello fellow gardeners :-)

I took your advise and searched for these pests.

I've managed to find pests that seem to nibble on my crop - my mint and sage.
I've attached pictures of the criminals - they look different than the thrips I think.

What do you guys think?
What are these?
How can I treat them?
Do you think that the pepper spray will work as well?

Peace And Love to you, your families and your garden ^_^
Attachments
20140726_185222_mint_eater.jpg
20140726_173909_eater.jpg
20140726_185222.jpg
20140726_185143_lower.jpg
20140726_173909.jpg
20140726_173819_lower.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Those are leaf hoppers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, and as always it helps to know what the pest is. Leafhoppers are one of those sucking insects I was talking about.

They are a soft bodied insect that is vulnerable to a soapy water spray - just mix a tsp of real soap (like Dr Brunners, not dish detergent which can burn your plants) in a quart of water and spray. Works best if you can directly hit them, but just spraying the leaves, including the undersides is helpful.

This is where applestar's comments about the Garden Patrol come in. Ladybugs, lacewings, and minute pirate bugs are all predators that eat the eggs and larvae of the leafhopper. If you don't have them in your garden, ladybugs and lacewings can be purchased for release.

Diatomaceous earth will also work against them. It comes as a powder you can get in garden stores. You just shake it on and around your plants.

eliorga
Newly Registered

Hi guys.

I've been trying the pepper spray but it's not working :(
My croft is still being eaten.

I'm wondering what to try next?
Should I go with neem oil or soapy water?
And in any of the options, please I could use usage directions.

Peace and love guys

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Neem oil, soapy water spray, or diatomaceous earth should all work, take your pick. Neem oil will have usage directions on it, the rest is pretty self evident. Make your soapy water spray and spray all the leaves, including the undersides, and especially hit the bugs directly if you get the chance. DE is a powder that you just sprinkle on and around the plant.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”