Linde

Basil- yellow leaves and curling; heat stress?

I have basil in small containers. In the last few weeks the bottom leaves have turned yellow. On one of the plants, the one that was in a sunnier, hotter spot, the leaves also started to curl length-wise. Could this be heat stress? We've had the first stretch of hot and humid days in the last couple of weeks? Too much or too little water perhaps?

imafan26
Mod

can you post a picture. Those same symptoms can be from over watering too.

Linde

Here are some pics:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Stressed! Need bigger containers. I can put one basil plant in a 10", 2 in a 12". Basils grow both above and below with a large root system (needs good root system to nourish the top growth).
Put in a larger container. Pinch off lower yellow leaves. For containers that size I usually use bagged potting mix, Fafards, Miracle Grow etc. Put in area with morning but not all day afternoon sun.
The existing stressed leaves won't turn into pretty basil leaves. I like to wait a couple days after transplant to cut back the plant, by 1/4 to 1/3, and use that in your recipes. Hopefully new growth will be pretty!
Hope this helps.

Linde

Thanks,
I've re-potted it. Hopefully it'll recover.

I have so many tomatoes that'll ripen over the next few weeks, I'll need some basil for all the tomato salad and tomato sauce I'll be eating. :lol:

Linde

Success! I repotted the basil in a bigger container and it is doing so much better.
image.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Basil is so easy to start from cuttings, I'd start another pot as the summer goes on. My large one has bit the dirt because of high heat, but I have 2 started from cuttings, just stuck in the ground. I so love pesto!

JPNguyen

Great observation with the small pot. Your made the right choice by moving it to a bigger container. It looks much healthier and tastier!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”