PerfecTommy07

Growing / Harvesting Fresh DILL

I grew everything from seed for the first time this year, including Herbs. The biggest surprise I have had is the DILL. I've never really grown dill, but have been cooking fresh more often recently and so decided to give it a shot this year.

It took off right away starting indoors (early April); I finally put it out about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I planted it in a container with cukes. The seedlings were kind of floppy in the beginning and I was kind of worried they wouldn’t make as they seemed to lay over on their side after a good wind or rough watering. But boy was I wrong. A few weeks ago I cut away some of the weaker growth, and now this stuff has shot up almost overnight and is now maybe two feet tall with thick sturdy stems. The first flower buds are starting to emerge already and so I am wondering what I should do.

1.) Pinch back the flower buds and encourage even more growth; in order to harvest fresh dill here and there over the summer.
2.) Let nature take its course and let the plant go to seed? In order to harvest fresh dill short term and catch the seeds? (to then re sow)
3.) Take the whole plant now to dry and preserve, and sow new seeds.
4.) Something I have not thought of. All advice is welcome! :) :D

Thanks,
PT7

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We normally find ourselves asking the same questions on dill. Last year we decided to cut off the flowers (before any flowering/seeds) in order to continue to trim and get dried and fresh dill weed. We use dill weed more than the seed.

Not sure what we did, but it seemed that shortly after cutting off the flowers, the whole plant started to yellow and die :shock: We later read that leaf production stops when the flowers appear, so I suppose you should keep it trimmed to stop it from flowering (like other herbs) if you want dill weed; otherwise once they are there, your collecting the dry seed heads and drying the entire plant and restarting new ones.

So this year we planted a lot more dill plants to try and acquire enough dill weed before allowing it to go to seed. The other thing we did both years was to plant the dill in containers because if it goes to seed it is an aggressive spreader and we didn't want it seeding everywhere in the garden.

One other gardening sit suggested that if you cut the plant down to 2" when the flowers appears it "may" start up a new set of shoots and leaves...

Good luck and we'll be interested in hearing the experiences of other gardeners as well! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have had spotty grow back when I cut it back like that. I use the whole plant though! Immature seed heads and fully mature stems and fronds in pickle making. IMO, immature seed heads give a stronger dill flavor, which is satisfactory in this home!

Is it the original plant that comes back, or a new seedling suppressed by the larger plant? I've rarely planted dill that hasn't been more than one seedling to a pot. I've never grown from seed, but I have transplanted volunteer seedlings from the garden.

This year, I grew a lot more dill than I normally do. I read that squash bugs don't like it when the fronds are sprinkled over and in the plants. This year will be my first trial with that theory.

I've not known dill to die off when dead headed while the seed heads are immature. Maybe it has something to do with the maturity of the seeds.

PerfecTommy07

Marlingardener~

Thats a great idea!!

So far I am leaning toward pulling the plant and harvesting some fresh, freezing some and using some for vinagrette. it's early yet, so I'll sow some new seeds and I can hopefully get a couple more crops in by the time Fall sets in; which should last me well through the winter.

But before I go ahead with that I'm gonna give this thread some time; hopefully there are somme more great ideas for growing and harvesting.

Thanks,
PT7

benali

PT7, in the Chicago area dill grows like a weed. You can grow it from a seed packet directly outdoors. No need to start inside unless you want to.

If you let it grow and go to seed it will get maybe 3' high. Could steal the sun from other nearby plants if they're on the south side of your garden.

We make a nice salad dressing from our dill, using inexpensive white vinegar we bought at Jewel (like Marlingardener suggested). Tastes pretty good (assuming you like dill flavor!). Lasts forever, given the vinegar base. A nice change of pace dressing to have on hand if you enjoy salads.

Cheers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have noticed that the larger dill plants are branched and flowers are in various stages of development. If you are harvesting the seed heads, that means the season is somewhat extended.

I suspect that the season can be extended by sowing seed at different times. I'm like some of the others, tho'. Dill volunteers in my gardens and I don't bother to sow seed in recent years. Thinning is not much of a problem. It's necessary to get the plants out of where they would crowd other things but you also can have larger plants and more branching if each plant has plenty of room.

We also freeze some. I especially like dill on baked salmon. Fresh dill at the same time as cucumber harvest is not likely. Use those seed heads for canning. That is my thought, anyway.

Steve

PerfecTommy07

So I cut the plant about 4-5 inches from the base and left a few shoots. I made 2 bottles of Dill Vinegrette. That ws about 4 days ago? So far the plant seems to be doing well and I think there is even some new growth. Hopefully it recovers well and I can harvest again down the line. Otherwise I will pull it and reseed.

benali

Cool! You've inspired me to start making my own vinegar-herbal dressings again. Best.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was recently harvesting fresh dill weed. The seed heads are mostly at the top of the plant, so you can easily cut branches from the bottom for the leaves and leave the seed heads to mature.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My dill is all but history for the season. After some cooler and wet weather we are now in summer mode, with 90 days, lots of sun. I may get to harvest one more bunch before pulling it out. Sigh.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”