Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rosemary

Ah Rosemary! My large 'shrub' in ground made it through the winter, albeit a bit sparse this spring. I finally cut out a few dead branches and cleaned it up a bit a month or so ago. It's been putting out more green, and responds well to the frequent rain showers. Actually a very small tree (gingko) that was planted some distance, is now a larger tree and I am sure some roots are in competition. the two I had in containers (lg 16") are history, and I did put a couple more in containers closer to the back door.
Yesterday I picked some rosemary for the market, just have 2 bunches. A bunch, about 1/2 ounce, way more than enough for a pork roast on the smoker grill.... A few people have asked, and I tell them waiting for it to grow out some and re-gain strength.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

What variety? I think just straight up 'officianalis'. If established early in season, usually winters here. I am trying to be philosophical about the winter. Not normal for us, but cleaned out a mess of marginal things.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Only the new hardy rosemary over winters for me. But I had a madeline hill which had been through one previous winter, but did not make it through the exceptional one we had.

This past winter took out a lot of stuff for me, not all of which I would have called "marginal." :(

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I did not know there are different varieties of Rosemary.

I tried many times to grow Rosemary when I lived in Murfreesboro Tennessee. It always did good in the spring but when it got hot it always died. When TN soil gets dry in July and August it is hard as cement. The 300 days of rain never did hurt it. If it managed to live until fall first freeze always killed it.

Here in Arizona I have a 5 foot diameter Rosemary 5 feet tall growing as a shrub in front of my house. It was here when I bought the house so I have no clue what variety it is. It does good summer and winter. It is a little bit out of control now it needs to be trimmed. I need a bush behind the house I looked for Rosemary at Lowe's last week but they do not have any. It smells good, I have put it in food several times.

I have seen Rosemary for sale around Christmas time $10 for a plant shaped like a Christmas tree.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”