Susan W
Greener Thumb

Rosemary

Fortunately my rosemary shrub made it through the winter. It needed pruned last season, and like other things, never got to it. It was looking puny after the cold winter, showing some green. Now with spells of warm and sunny interspersed with rainy, is making its come-back. I did prune out the dead branches, may have more to do. Even though a dry area plant, it likes being watered (not as much as basil and other thirsty plants). A number of the in-ground rosemaries around town didn't make it, due to a number of factors. Mine in pots are history. Just because, put 2 new starts in large pots. Well, these closer to kitchen door and for my use.

Once this bush gets going again, need to help it branch out. I figure to get a longer low branch down on the ground, anchor it, and hopefully it will root. I also need to get another start in the ground in another area. (the to-do list gets longer, not shorter!)

imafan26
Mod

Potted rosemary does need to be watered, but unless you live in a desert, an established rosemary can live on rain.

Too much water on an in-ground rosemary and it will become a tree.

Rosemary can be ground layered or grown from cuttings. You may be able to start cuttings now. Cutting need to be taken while the plant is actively growing.
Attachments
Rosemary behind kale grew to be 7 ft tall before it was cut back. Kale is 6 ft tall
Rosemary behind kale grew to be 7 ft tall before it was cut back. Kale is 6 ft tall

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”