DavidACook

First Post- Veg/Herb Garden... Help!!

Hello HelpfulGardener.com Forum!

Just joined today...

First off, I have a few months experience in gardening. We recently planted a pretty hefty garden...

this post will be updates and questions for anyone willing to give me some helpful, experienced, pointers.

Background: I live in Florida, the garden is on the side of our home, half sun.

I'm going to start off with the purple basil (which I'm most excited of because I use it a lot for cooking),

I have this plant in full sun right now. It seems to be doing well, but with some of the research I've done, basil is supposed to grow like crazy. Am I looking in good shape... Do I need full sun? Water?
photo 2-3.JPG
PS. Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm going to have a lot of questions once all the veg starts coming in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your purple basil looks quite happy and healthy. IME purple basil likes less sun than green basil, so your half sun location should be fine for it. I grow mine mostly in containers on my deck, where it gets morning and early afternoon sun.

Good luck with your new garden! what does "pretty hefty" garden mean in square footage? :)

Welcome to the Forum!

DavidACook

It's definitely no more than 20 square feet or so, but we have a lot of veg and herb planted. I have no idea what to do with any of it haha. Just letting it all do it's thing for now. I've already lost sweet basil that was planted in the ground due to bugs or lizards or who knows. The basil in the pot is surving so it seems.

Thanks for the reply too!! Much appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

20 sq ft is teeny. To have "a lot" of veggies and herbs in a 5x4 space could easily be over-crowding. Be sure to give your plants room to grow and not be competing with each other too much.

I don't know what eats basil in your area, but where I am bugs rarely bother it.

DavidACook

I think we did overcrowd a bit. My cucumber is started to vine around my jalepeno and habenero peppers. What should I do about that? will the peppers be okay?

applestar
Mod

Peppers will not be OK.

Put up a trellis -- a wire fence secured upright with metal fence posts is an example. Gently unwind the cucumber from the peppers and guide the vines to tendril onto the trellis.

Then I would dig up the peppers and move them further away. Jalapeños can be grown in 3 gallon-5 gallon size container but don't use garden soil -- get potting mix and add 1/4 to 1/3 sand. Probably habaneros too ...what variety do you have?

DavidACook

I can move them to pots. I have some big ones. The cucumbers are going up already. But they were behind the peppers.

applestar
Mod

Especially in a small space, it helps to be vigilant and guide/train your vining plants to grow where you want them to go. Also, sometimes they choose to hang onto the silliest things.... :roll:

I unwind the tendrils and have them change supports all the time. :wink:

DavidACook

Those things are really tightly wound. I'm scared to unwind haha. Is there a good way to go about doin that?

applestar
Mod

Just find the tip and unhook one loop at a time. After a few, you'll see how they tend to wind around a certain way and then it gets easier. :mrgreen:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi David -welcome to the forum.

Your basil looks nice. Does your pot have good drainage? Some ceramic pots don't.

Your sweet basil may have been attacked by slugs. The slugs attacked mine. I got them under control using shallow pans of beer in the herb bed and crushed egg shells around the base of the plants. No more slugs.

I agree with growing your cucumbers vertically. In the future you may want to consider planting indeterminate tomatoes and growing them vertically as well. vertical gardening really maximizes your garden space.

You can grow a lot in a small space but the plants/seeds require the correct spacing. You may want to look into square foot gardening.

https://www.squarefootgardening.com

If the idea appeals to you get the book - second edition.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

This link has planting dates for the different regions of Florida as well as variety recommendations. The University of Florida has developed new tomato hybrids that are more heat tolerant. You need that in Florida.

Consider additional boxes. Night shades - tomatoes, peppers and eggplants need to rotated to avoid soil born virus - especially in the south. Plant night shades the original box only once every 3 years. That means you need at least 3 boxes for your night shades.

You may want to save the UFL link to your favorites. They put out a lot of excellent information that is region specific and research based.

If you really want to get into vegetable and herb gardening start a compost bin. Easy to make with scrap lumber and chicken wire or wooden pallets. I have 2 4'x4'x4' boxes adjacent to each other. Easier for me to turn. When my tree loses it's leaves we mulch them with the mower and store the excess in lawn bags for year round browns.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

DavidACook

HELP my purple basil is looking like its withering away! Did I over water?! Did I give it too much sun?! help!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

A new picture would help. Could be under watering or over watering. The condition of the soil should tell you that. Have you had a lot of rain? Does the soil seem soggy? Dig down a ways in the pot. If Elizabeth's suggestion about drainage was right (sometimes even pots with a hole in the bottom can have poor drainage, especially if the pot is sitting flat on a smooth surface), the soil will be more wet, the farther down you go. If it were too much sun, the purple would probably bleach out. Did it?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Do tell more about the conditions of the basil pot. I do grow lots of basil, mostly in containers, and still potting up more, and more! I sell fresh cut at the farmers market and need to go 0 - 60 in a short time frame. Even though I do start some from seed, buy a fair amount of bonnie brand from the box store, both purple and green.

I have a few in 10" containers, mainly from early spring and going into fall when they are moved in and out according to temps. Then most in 12, 14 and 16". 2 plants in a 12, up to 4 in a 16. For the smaller containers use potting mix on hand (miracle grow, fafards). For larger mix my own. Do have your pot up on something so it drains well. It should only need spot watered 2 - 3/week if it hasn't rained.

Sun, shade. Basil loves long hot summers, so we're in luck! Most of mine do have a break from afternoon sun. In ground can take a long sunny day after day. I am not sure about purples fading as I think going green is just reverting to their base genes. The leaves we see are always new growth as we pick it to grow new.

Hope this helps!

imafan26
Mod

Does your basil look yellow between the veins and on the underside do you see anything? Basil downy mildew started in Florida. Purple basils may be more resistant. African, Lemon, lime basils handle it better but taste different. Sweet basil gets hit the worst from the disease.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”