evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Re: Please help me KILL my cilantro

Where do you live?! I wish I could have just some - mine just dies :(

@apple I totally agree - I try to keep all cooking water, rinsing water, water baths, everything I can really and pour on the compost.

ambersvictorygarden
Newly Registered

Sorry you're overrun with something you don't want. I have a problem with mint...I love it, but it chokes out everything around it. I'm glad to hear that cilantro reseeds so readily in the garden. I LOVE cilantro and I never have enough. I'm going to go plant it in my raised beds and hope it spreads...I recently read that you can be born with a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. Sounds crazy but I feel like it must be true. I think it tastes like HEAVEN :D

JC's Garden

I have just the opposite problem. My wife uses a lot of it, she's a personal chef. What excess I do have is sold at our local organic co-op. I never have enough to satisfy demand.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My cilantro is doing great this year:

The tall thing coming up out of the fencing is one cilantro plant. I have several of them scattered around. I'm one of the people for whom it tastes like soap, but I'm hoping for coriander seed. If you click on the picture, you can see it is covered in flowers.

I wonder if there's a connection? I'm also a PTC taster. For some people like me PTC (phenylthiocarbamide) tastes very bitter, for others it is tasteless.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

Too bad you probably don't know a few people who love cilantro, you could just have them over and let them go at it, preferably before it goes to seed.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”