Minty
Newly Registered

HELP! What's wrong with my mint?

Hi all,
I need help with my mint :(
I just bought it yesterday from the grocery and watered it, and noticed this morning that it got a white web looking thing on the soil surface, as well as a spiderweb like thing where the main branch touches the soil.
What is wrong? It that mold? Is it safe to consume? Should I throw it out in case it spread to my other plants?
Thank you.
DSC_7154 - Copy.JPG
DSC_7154 - Copy.JPG
Attachments
DSC_7153 - Copy.JPG

applestar
Mod

I tried, but I can't see what you are talking about very well.

However, I don't think there is any need to panic. Mold or fungal growth on soil is not that uncommon especially with peat-rich potting mix like this. Should not affect the harvested mint -- just rinse thoroughly.

Don't leave the pot in water, and let the surface of the soil feel dry -- pressing down with finger pad doesn't feel moist and nothing sticks -- it should still feel spongy and not dried out. Then water again with cooled chamomile tea or water with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or about half of a cinnamon stick in 2 quarts of water. These are natural fungicides.

If you are a tea drinker, occasionally give the plant weak herbal, green or black tea from last dregs or used tea bag, or weak coffee made with left over used coffee grounds.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Minty -can't really see what you are talking about. Gently remove the white matter from the soil and any web matter from the leaves. Rinse the plant (not the soil) with a mild soap solution. 1 part dishwashing liquid to 4 parts water. Rinse well with cool water.

The white matter on the top of the soil may be fertilizer. Removing it will not harm the plant.

Does the pot have good drainage? If there is a pot saucer take it off. As soon as your weather warms up move your mint to your patio or balcony. NEVER plant mint in your garden. Keep it in a pot or a hanging basket. Best grown outside - partial sun - 4 - 6 hours - preferably morning sun.

Good luck

Minty
Newly Registered

Thanks. I waited until nighttime and found out it was early stage of spider mite :(
I can see them moving and spinning the web :(
I harvest the herbs and throw out both the plant and the pot to play safe (and drinking mint tea now)

It was lucky it was weekend and I got more time to look at my little plants, otherwise on weekdays it would have probably spread to my other plants probably won't make it :shock: That's how I lost my ivy topiary last year same time :(

applestar
Mod

Ah, that is too bad. :(
Yes spider mites are nasty. I generally get them towards the end of the winter when the house is way dry but it's too cold for the plants to go outside.

It's not impossible to control if you can isolate the plant, but I understand wanting to play it safe after experiencing a nasty outbreak. I have trouble because I have plants everywhere.

Mint is easy to grow. You can even grow them from sprigs sold in the produce department if they are fresh enough. Good luck with your next plant. :D

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”