skizziks
Newly Registered

Wilting Purple Basil

Hi Everybody
I'm fairly new to gardening, so please be patient with my newbie issues.
I have done some herb gardening in the past, but now I have added some heirloom tomato's this year, I have them planted in redwood boxes that are 20"x20"x16" high with one plant in each. I was informed that basil makes a good complimentary plant to grow with tomatoes so I planted a purple basil and Thai basil in one of the planters with the tomato plant. The tomato plant and the Thai Basil are growing robustly but the purple basil has just totally wilted. Is this over watering, under watering or could it be something completely different. None of the leaves have really changed color, they just went completely limp.Anyone have any words of wisdom for a confused newbie?
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree re the sun recommendation. I grow my purple basil in morning sun only locations and the green in full sun. Not quite sure about the wilting, but it will need a lot of water if grown in a full sun location.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'm thinking you got a 'bad batch' on the purple basil, or perhaps a kitty visited that spot after you planted. It happens. With the other plants doing fine, shouldn't be water or sun issues. You could try another purple from a different batch, or different supplier. Throw the dead one in the trash, not the compost.

I am also thinking sun is not a big factor in purples fading to green. I have seen gorgeous dark purple basils in full sun. When going green may be reverting to their green base. There are also purple leaved shrubs and plants that need the sun.

Don't mean to sound callous. Just the more you grow, the more you may see 'things happen'.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”