TBraswell

A Newbs Questions (Stevia)

Stevia is said to be sweeter than sugar, which is good because we like sweet things in this house. But, I have heard nothing of its growing habits in regards to how prolific and crowding it can become. Is it a pretty tame herb or does it enjoy conquering all available space?

applestar
Mod

Stevia is a tender perennial so extent of growth is limited by the end of the season.

I have mine planted in a big clay pot (10") and bring it in at the end of the season to overwinter on a window bench in a sunny window with a CFL bulb supplement, and it seems to be fine with that, though I have read recommendations to plant directly in the ground during the growing season for larger harvest.

I tried that the first year, and it was tricky to dig up to bring in, and declined significantly though I admit I dug it up at the last minute. Had I taken care of it a month before first frost, it would have adjusted better. Also, I have since learned that it's pretty normal for the plant to go nearly dormant during the winter. Mine is starting to grow new spring shoots from the roots now and will go outside when the tomatoes are planted.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”