WP_20140202_002.jpg
WP_20140202_006.jpg
WP_20140202_006.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
WP_20140202_011.jpg
WP_20140202_011.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
WP_20140202_012.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The color is off, not of your plants but of your camera.

Nothing of this earth is that purple-y red.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

tomc wrote:The color is off, not of your plants but of your camera.

Nothing of this earth is that purple-y red.

Its my grow lights I use, they are 8600k so they give off that hue.

I'll take another pic with the lights off and post them.

Nevermind I cant seem to get any light to the grow bench. It has these small white hairs growing on it. I googled it and everyone seems to refer to them as "powdery mildew" I sprayed with one part milk and 9parts de-ionized water and it seems to have helped a bit. However, a little bit of mildew is still left. I have a computer fan that I retro-fitted to provide air circulation to these guys and keep the leaves nice and dry. Should I spray again now or wait till tomorrow??
WP_20140202_013.jpg
WP_20140202_013.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
I've also read letting the soil dry for a day between watering, then I've also read they enjoy humidity. Can anyone clarify this. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

applestar
Mod

I'm not seeing powdery mildew. Are these your lavender or rosemary seedlings?
The fine downy hair looks to me like normal part of the plant. Tomato seedlings and some pepper seedlings also have these.

If there was mold growing, the toothpick(?) support -- that is so cute! -- would be covered with it too.

Lower the lights down or raise the plants up closer to the light so they don't stretch for the light and grow weak stems. What happens is the individual cells of the growing stems become elongated into long rectangles instead of short, which means the cell walls which should be thicker get stretched thin. Stack up thin walled blocks and stick some weight on top like leaves and they fall over. The fan will help to toughen up the stems too -- the slight movement makes the plant "shore up" the walls.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

applestar wrote:I'm not seeing powdery mildew. Are these your lavender or rosemary seedlings?
The fine downy hair looks to me like normal part of the plant. Tomato seedlings and some pepper seedlings also have these.

If there was mold growing, the toothpick(?) support -- that is so cute! -- would be covered with it too.

Lower the lights down or raise the plants up closer to the light so they don't stretch for the light and grow weak stems. What happens is the individual cells of the growing stems become elongated into long rectangles instead of short, which means the cell walls which should be thicker get stretched thin. Stack up thin walled blocks and stick some weight on top like leaves and they fall over. The fan will help to toughen up the stems too -- the slight movement makes the plant "shore up" the walls.

The frames are actually fast grown bamboo. You can pick up a roll of 7feet by 1foot at wallmart for 8buks. The uses are unlimited.

Okay thanks for the reply I was worried they were getting mildew since the humidity during the day gets up to 65% on my house. I'm gonna move em closer and keep a close eye.

About the soil, should I let it dry out for a day before the next watering?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree not powdery mildew. Rosemary seedlings are a little fuzzy:

https://tinyfarmblog.com/fuzzy-little-rosemary/

But yes they do look leggy and stretched, like they aren't getting enough light.

And yes, definitely let rosemary dry out a little bit between waterings. Once it gets a little bigger, you want it in very well draining soil (like mix some cactus mix in or extra vermiculite or something) and let it dry out pretty thoroughly between waterings.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:I agree not powdery mildew. Rosemary seedlings are a little fuzzy:

https://tinyfarmblog.com/fuzzy-little-rosemary/

But yes they do look leggy and stretched, like they aren't getting enough light.

And yes, definitely let rosemary dry out a little bit between waterings. Once it gets a little bigger, you want it in very well draining soil (like mix some cactus mix in or extra vermiculite or something) and let it dry out pretty thoroughly between waterings.

Thanks for the input, I had no idea they were not receiving enough light. My mint thrived and were much, much further away from the light, I figured the Rosemarries would work the same but nope! I've moved them about 4" from the light. For now ill remain vigilant and post a follow up on here in the coming days. My biggest fear is letting these little guys dry out. This is roughly my fourth time growing them from seeds and is also the furthest I've gotten. Out of about 18 that I planted only 5 made it this far.

thanks again!!

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

UPDATE!!
Moved them all up much closer to the lamps now.
Moved them all up much closer to the lamps now.
setup.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
WP_20140203_001.jpg
WP_20140203_001.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
WP_20140203_002.jpg
WP_20140203_002.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
WP_20140203_018.jpg
WP_20140203_019.jpg
WP_20140203_019.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks good. Very clever and ingenious, giving them each their own plant stand/ water glass!

You will need to have a smaller size glass for when the plants get bigger, but rosemary is a very slow grower, so you have plenty of time to work that out.

Give us an update later on how the plants respond to the new conditions, when they have had more time.

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Okay, first off you guys are bad asses! Thanks for all the input. I've put all that into action, and this is the result. A couple days from my OP and these little guys are looking very nice. I lost one of the four seedlings so now I'm down to three =/ It sucks putting so much effort into these little guys and then losing one. I read somewhere, that seedlings shouldn't be potted into big pots, because the moister in all the excess soil can cause root rot. So since I eat tons of eggs I had some egg cartons and decided to put them to good use, along with a minor modification. AND last but not least the lights ARE purple, they are 7800k and provide a mix of blue and red light that is supposed to be ideal for flower and veg growth. They have mixed reviews but it seems that the bad reviews are those using only one light and not keeping the seedlings near the light as you guys suggested.

See pics below =)

Added a pulley system so I may raise or lower the plants at will.
Added a pulley system so I may raise or lower the plants at will.
WP_20140206_003.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
WP_20140206_004.jpg
WP_20140206_004.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
WP_20140206_005.jpg

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”