hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Dill hanging on!

Cilantro and parsley love cold weather. We harvest an abundance all through the winter with the plants not being fazed by this year's low 20's. But I didn't realize that protected dill would survive through the winter. We had some volunteer plants come up in late fall, and at this point after many hard freezes, a few of the plants seem to be holding on. Perhaps next year I'll intentionally plant some late dill and will mulch to protect the base of the plants. This winter dill is not producing any new growth, but my guess is that it will be ready to jump as soon as warm weather arrives. Has anyone else had luck with overwintering dill where outside temperatures get down close to 20 degrees?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Guess over wintered dill will be a new routine in the garden from now on. I let cilantro, parsley, and dill all self seed. This year was the first year for broadcasting the dill seed in late summer and have been pleasantly surprised by the result. We had lots of late dill, and this over wintering aspect is an added bonus as the fresh dill season will probably be much longer in the future.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”