Mystic
Newly Registered

Please help sage is dying?!

Hello all! I am new to gardening or growing anything really...I recently bought a sage plant from Walmart. It says to water it from the bottom daily or as needed and I have it sitting on my windowsill in my kitchen to try and get it some sun. The leaves are browning and curling under! How can I stop this? I checked to see if the soil was too dry but it's still damp. I am horrible at keeping plants of any kind alive but thought I was doing ok with it...guess not.

I also have a mint plant from Walmart as well and the leaves are browning at the bottom.

Do I need to repot them??

What kind of pots and soil? Money is kind of tight at the moment but I want to keep them alive.

Any tips? Thanks!
Attachments
My mint.
My mint.
image.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
My sage.
My sage.

Mystic
Newly Registered

Marlingardener,

Thank you for your reply! I figured the pots were getting too small but wasn't sure. I will repot them both. Now as far as the soil goes I have some that's called "All American Potting Soil" will that work or do I need to go purchase MG? As far as the windowsill goes it does get some sunlight and is kind of chilly at night. Will moving it down to the counter be ok? I don't really have any other place to put them. I'd like to keep them both in doors.

Hopefully I can keep them alive.

imafan26
Mod

Try to give them as much light as you can the sage and mint look a bit lanky and open and that happens more when they could use more light. If you want to keep them indoors, can you set up a shelf with a fluorescent light? If you can set the light about 8 inches above the plants they usually will get enough light.

Keep pinching the mint so to keep it compact and transplant it before the roots start circling the pot. Mint likes moist rich soil

I kill sage regularly with too much water outdoors, it was the one plant that survived the longest when I ignored it.

Mystic
Newly Registered

Imafan26,

Thank you for your reply! I will try to do the shelf and light thing. I just recently got these so we will see how it goes. I will transplant them as soon as I can get soil as I don't think the kind I have will work for them.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”