Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Herb Garden

Bokashi

I'm digging on vertical gardens right now! Is this yours?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a pic he found on line. Looks like a commercial operation -- there are two stoves visible. But very cool idea that might be adaptable to residential kitchens. Worth looking in to for how they got water to it, how they keep the water from damaging the wall behind it, how they get light to the stuff at the bottom, etc.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I found this a few days ago at this place. https://www.boredpanda.com/amazing-home- ... ign-ideas/

I found another one in a closet that I like better.

The disadvantage to this is no real sun light. Electric lights are expensive. No air movement so it needs a fan. You also need a water system.

After giving this some thought and considering herbs come in 8 ounce packages for 99 cents it makes no sense to grow my own herbs inside the house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow herbs in my kitchen all winter with my aerogarden:

https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_g&gc ... 4Aod-CYAXg

It is a self contained hydro system that sits on a counter or table, has built in light on a timer, water, aeration. I have the smallest one, so it doesn't grow a lot, but it will give two or three decent sized plants that you can pick from all winter. You just have to put the seed plugs (you buy from them) in, then keep adding water and nutrients.

This would be a good time to start it now, so that by the time the herbs in the garden are done, there would be pickable leaves indoors. However, the table it sits on is currently covered with all my canned jars, jars of distilled oils and hydrasols, collected seeds, etc... have to wait.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I grow herbs in my kitchen all winter with my aerogarden:

https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_g&gc ... 4Aod-CYAXg

It is a self contained hydro system that sits on a counter or table, has built in light on a timer, water, aeration. I have the smallest one, so it doesn't grow a lot, but it will give two or three decent sized plants that you can pick from all winter. You just have to put the seed plugs (you buy from them) in, then keep adding water and nutrients.

This would be a good time to start it now, so that by the time the herbs in the garden are done, there would be pickable leaves indoors. However, the table it sits on is currently covered with all my canned jars, jars of distilled oils and hydrasols, collected seeds, etc... have to wait.

I have not seen those before, I might like to have one of those.

Many of the herbs I need do not grow in this country. I have about 30 dry herbs I keep in the kitchen. I buy my 99 cent herbs at the 99 cent store, Dollar Store, and the Mexican section of the grocery store. I bought a 1 cup bag of Oregano last week for $1. I am going to make Mexican stew today so I need the fresh Marjoram and Thyme from the store, dry herbs just do not do this recipe justice.

Those $3 packs of fresh herbs from Wal Mart will last 2 months in the refrigerator. I don't know the cost of that little herb grower but it sure would be nice to have a few fresh herbs on hand all the time.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”