Susan W
Greener Thumb

Chives from seed

Starting chives from seed should be easy, right?! I have started plenty of garlic chives from seed, especially as hard to find as starts in the garden centers. Regular chives easy to find. I figured I'd start from seed both for me, and perhaps more important sell 4" starts. My thought is to have a few starts available now until spring that would do well for the kitchen window sill.

Here's what I have. Four 4" pots with potting mix (this time fafards). Just a few sprouted, making the pot look like Charlie Browns head with 2 sprigs. I even had 2 different seed sources. As that is pitiful, have a 12 pellet seed tray going and watching for green. I am putting in plenty of seed.

I have seed starting going on continually. For new starts are inside, east window, lots of natural light and additional small shop lights. There's also a small fan I turn on a couple times/day. Once they show enough green, get moved outside to bright shade, shelter from rain, and ease into more sun.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Anyone here grown chives from seed? Success? failure? tips?

lily51
Greener Thumb

I have not started chives this time of year, but I do start it in the spring. It can be as you described. Sometimes I wonder about the age of the seeds in packets.
Now I sprinkle many seeds in each container so it doesn't have that sparse look. Trimming the chives will also give it a thicker look (kind of like hair).
Once in the ground, it seems to take off.
I do have a greenhouse to start my plants, so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

imafan26
Mod

I start chives in community pots. It takes a lot of seed and patience. They can take up to a month to sprout and if you are lucky they will come up en masse. Whenever, I only get a sparse sprouting, my soil was either too wet, or the seed was more than 5 years old. I usually can grow them from March to November. I will be starting my onion seeds in October and planting garlic in October or November. I have no snow so it is the best time for met to plant.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for letting me know this isn't a failure for me! I have 4 4" pots, one I may hang on to as it has a few sprigs. Now have one (12) coir pellet tray going, and waiting, and may be waiting!
So far I have a few lavender starts staying alive, and that's a start!
Must be bored as I am going for more parsley starts from seed. Several have sprouted, haven't bumped up yet. I do have a couple of small 10" pots with parsley starts from 1 year ago. They've never outdone themselves, and now mostly feeder parsley for the black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars.

imafan26
Mod

Onions and parsley are slow to grow and take a lot of seed to start them. It helps to soak the seed first and I did do that when I first started growing them. Now, I don't have to do that, and I get good sprouting without all of that extra effort. I used to just broadcast the seed on the top of the media (50/50 peatlite) and just put a paper towel over the top. I would water through the paper towel to keep it moist and gently lift the towel when the seedlings sprouted. Now, I don't even do that. I just broadcast the seeds on the 4 inch pots and keep it on the nursery bench (mine is out in full sun). I water once a day, sometimes twice if it is windy. If the pots are too wet the seeds will dampen off, so it is important that the pots drain well and the media is not soggy.

I don't have luck using 6 pack or plug starts. They are always to wet for me. It is easier to start a community pot and divide of transplant later.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”