brinboise

Bay leaves browning

I have a 2' tall Bay tree in a sunny place on my porch, with shade in the PM. It lives in a 12" pot and seems to be growing well with lots of new growth but...some of the leaves are browning, at the tips of the leaves-they turn brown on the edges and then slowly cover the entire leaf. The brown leaves are mostly at the lower portion of the plant...about 4-5% are affected. I bought this tree in the spring and it is my first attempt at growing a Bay Laurel. Any help would be much appreciated by me and the Bay plant....thanks

imafan26
Mod

That happens with mine too, but the ones in the ground usually recovers. When that happened in the pot usually one of these things happened

1. I just repotted it and it had transplant shock. I've killed a few this way
2. It rained a lot and the pot did not have a chance to dry out.
3. I moved it from the shade to the sun and scorched the leaves
4. Spider mites and scale were sucking on the lower leaves and some of them dried, curled and fell. It got
better after I baited the ants and hosed off the leaves with water and in the case of spider mites, the
rainy season started.

brinboise

Imafan26 thanks for your input....
It hasn't been re-potted recently, the plant is not in the open to be rained on, hasn't been scorched by the sun and I checked diligently for mites... I will do some research on scale. thanks again

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”