Ish

Cilantro mystery

I planted some coriander seeds a fee weeks ago, and they sprouted in a few days. The problem: the seedlings look nothing like cilantro. They're about three inches tall, sturdy and growing, about four five leaves on each one, but its nothing like cilantro.

And yes, I planted coriander seeds, and since its the only pot I planted anything in this year, I know there's no mixup. I will post pics tomorrow (its midnight and my balcony does not have a light) but has this happened to anyone?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, it is hard to say anything until you post your pics. Cilantro:

https://www.fragrantfields.com/ProductIm ... antro1.jpg

If it really isn't cilantro, the other choices would be that the company packed the wrong seeds in your packet which happens rarely but not never (usually just a few wrong ones creep in to a packet of the correct seed) or weeds. If for some reason, your cilantro didn't sprout, the space will get filled in -- nature abhors a vaccuum and weeds are ubiquitous. Even "sterile" potting soil usually has a few weed seeds in it. And if your pot is outdoors, weed seeds are drifting in the wind all the time.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I think it's possible too that there were weed seeds in the soil that woke up when you watered it after sowing the coriander seeds, and sprouted first. Did anything else sprout in the same pot?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar made me think... you said sprouted in a few days. Germination time for cilantro is usually 6 - 10 days. If it sprouted quicker than that, that is another argument for it being a weed.

Ish

Thank you for your replies! It is so nice to be able to have gardening conversations (don't know anyone else who gardens in my apartment block)

Firstly, I doubt they are weeds though I suppose it is possible, if unlikely. Why? I had potted delphinium, tomatillo, Swiss chard etc all from seed and they are growing without any trouble out on my balcony. Though the timelines vary by about a week or so, all these pots are in the same space.

Second, I used coriander seeds from my kitchen. I am Indian and we use coriander all the time in spicing up the food, and so I know what I out in there (I sure hope this isn't one of those adulterated food issues!) I had planted chilli seeds in the same way, take em out of the jar, plant them, and Today I just saw the first hint of a flower bud :) so excited.

This is what my "cilantro" plant looks like! Oh and, you're right about the germination time. This is the third time I am trying to grow cilantro and it did take its own sweet time sprouting. I was so thrilled that day! Sigh.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

ntxsgrdn
Newly Registered

Having grown both coriander and jalepeno peppers, those leaves appear the same shape as my jalapeno plants. I guess as they grow, they'll let you know what they are for sure.

Greg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not peppers, which look like this:

https://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... G_2993.jpg

If you click on ish' s picture to enlarge it, you will see that these are heart shaped leaves on long thin leaf stalks and the cotyledons are all wrong for peppers. If I had to guess, ish, I'd say your soil might have gotten contaminated with some bindweed roots and you have a bunch of bindweed* popping up. But that's a total guess and could be completely wrong; ntxs is right that it will be easier to tell once it gets a little bigger.

*or something similar like morning glory or wild buckwheat

Ish

I noticed that about the different cotyledons too. Planted some chilli seeds (dried Indian chillies, very hot, longer and thinner than Serrano peppers..) and this is what they look like now. Am seeing the first baby buds on one plant so I guess that worked.

I guess you are right, rainbowgardener. This is some weed. I might remove all but one of the seedlings and see what that grows up into. Cilantro is hard to grow! I've tried a few times and haven't met with success yet. But again, with the amount of cilantro I use everyday and with what I've read about it not being the most bountiful plant, guess I should move on.

Ill post an update on what this baby grows into soon :) thanks for every ones time! Appreciate it :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 2890 times

imafan26
Mod

What did you have planted in the pot before? Maybe the seeds that germinated came from that. It happens to me a lot since I reseed pots that fail to germinate only to find a bonus plant later.

ntxsgrdn
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Nope, not peppers, which look like this:

https://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww13 ... G_2993.jpg

If you click on ish' s picture to enlarge it, you will see that these are heart shaped leaves on long thin leaf stalks and the cotyledons are all wrong for peppers. If I had to guess, ish, I'd say your soil might have gotten contaminated with some bindweed roots and you have a bunch of bindweed* popping up. But that's a total guess and could be completely wrong; ntxs is right that it will be easier to tell once it gets a little bigger.

*or something similar like morning glory or wild buckwheat
Yeah I enjarged the picture, but I guess I focused more on the elongated points as opposed to the stem end. I can definiely see the difference. I have a couple of nice jalepeno plants in containers right now. We often make jalepeno jelly for holiday gifts to friends and neighbors. Everyone loves it.

imafan26
Mod

You can improve germination with cilantro if you soak the seed overnight first. I put it on top of the moistened planting media and cover it with a paper towel. I water through the paper towel to keep it damp. About 10 days later I start to peek under the paper towel and when I see the seeds are germinating, I gently remove the paper towel and bottom water until the cilantro can handle top watering.

applestar
Mod

Glad you posted that imafan!
I let mine go to seed and they reseed themselves to grow when conditions are favorable. They come back in early spring and often in fall so I've no idea how to intentionally grow them from seeds in a container. :lol:

I do save seeds for spice coriander and raid the spice cupboard if I'm sharing seeds or sowing some outside in a new bed, but I just scatter the seeds around. :P

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I had to chuckle at this thread, and no offense to anyone. Cilantro is a cool weather herb, and I have tried to grow it both spring and fall. I realized I really don't like it, can't even wash the smell off my hands after picking. I tried growing it for the farmers market (I sell fresh picked herbs under handle MidTown Herbs). Never fails, every week at least one, well several ask for it. I just smile and mention it doesn't like hot weather (not a good choice for Memphis!) I have considered changing the name to Everything BUT Cilantro! They want dill also now, probably for salad and pickling, but again not a summer herb for us.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I really struggled with coriander - I did not get one plant last year! The one plant I thought I got was actually celery, lol. So I asked hear and they said cool weather, so I planted some in winter and lo! I have a whole tray full. Of course it will get hot here in a month and then they will die but I will try some in the kitchen where it is cooler. Try a cool spot with good light.

Oh and, they are definitely not coriander. And I find the seeds I buy from the shop as a spice give me a lower germination rate than the packaged growing seeds.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”