Roseamore
Cool Member

Please help me with what's wrong with my Spearmint

Hi Guys,

During the last two weeks I noticed that new growth on one of my spearmint plants was looking bleached out and starting to dry. I'm starting to get worried because the spearmint plant which is located next to it is starting to look the same.

Research online suggest that I may be overwatering or the plant may have some type of infection. Can any one tell me what they think; I have a picture attached.

I look forward to any help you can offer because I need to do something before significant damage is caused to my plants.

Roseamore
Attachments
100_1002.JPG
100_1002.JPG (42.12 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
100_1003.JPG
100_1003.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 1266 times

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Might be a nitrogen deficiency. I have seen similar yellowing on some of my peppers.

If diseased Spearmint is an aggressive plant. I don't think lopping off the tips would hurt. It would likely grow more growth tips.

Ish

I would go with trimming the plant too. Mint grows real fast, you won't damage the plant if you cut the top off and see what the new growth is like.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My suggestions also. Trim the top. You can add N with fish emulsion, and that won't hurt anything. You didn't mention light, but I'd suggest AM sun or filtered, and let it dry some between watering.

Roseamore
Cool Member

Thanks for the advise guys. I cut off all the yellowing young leaves this evening and I am hoping for the best.

After Stephen mentioned deficiency I checked it out. Seems that Sulphur deficiency is responsible for yellowing of the young leaves. If the new growth is yellow again I will try giving the plants some Epsom's salts.

Thanks again.

Roseamore

BTW the plants are on the outside and they get direct sunlight from 11:00 am to about 2:00 pm.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”