Roseamore
Cool Member

I need advise on growing Lemon Basil

Hi Guys,

I've been growing Sweet, Greek, and Lemon Basil; the first two have been growing very well but the Lemon basils are growing very slowly and the leaves do not seem to be opening fully. I have been treating all my basils the same way.

Please tell me what I should be doing different with my Lemon basil. I really like the taste of lemon basil tea and I want big beautiful bushes.

Advise anyone?

Roseamore

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

how are you growing them ? Container ground sun no sun? Might be able to help :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My experience is that lemon basil grows very slow. It also tries to set seed all the time. Grrr!! I went to Ms Burns Lemon Basil, larger leaf, more lemony. Still slow and other problems. It is a delicate leaf, so may need some break from full sun.

Hope this helps, not discourage!

imafan26
Mod

I have lemon basil, it reseeds readily in full sun. It is also fairly tolerant of downy mildew. I am interested in what you use it for. It does not get as big as sweet basil but I don't think it is particularly slow. Mine are in the ground and all I do is move the seedlings that have popped up in an awkward place otherwise I just let them reseed and don't pay them much mind.

Roseamore
Cool Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for answering.

I am currently growing the Lemon basils in containers. The bigger one is in a 3 gallon container and the smaller on is in an 8 inch pot. They get a few hours of sun during the middle of the day and afternoon. Their roots seem to grow more vigorously then their foliage.

So far I have only used the leaves in tea. I've heard and read that it is good with fish dishes but I don't eat fish (I'm a vegetarian) so I've not experienced that myself.

Compared to the other basils the Lemon basil is growing very, very slowly.

I have been preparing a garden bed and I'm thinking that I should try planting the younger plant in the ground and see how that goes.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Roseamore

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”