Roseamore
Cool Member

Mint Suckers

Dear Everyone,

I have several mint plants in pots and they all have suckers. In some cases the suckers have grown out of the pots and are hanging over the sides. I have two questions:

1. When I cut off suckers will I be able to use them to grow new plants? If so how?

2. Is it best to cut off suckers as soon as they get to the edge of the pot?

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Roseamore
Patience and plants grow side-by-side.... The art of gardening cultivates them well.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Re: Mint Suckers

One way to work with the mint suckers is to have a pot of dirt next to the existing one. Lay the long suckers on the soil, cover enough to hold in place, and start new mint pots!
Have fun!
Susan

Roseamore
Cool Member

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your response.

I will try that because I have a few friends who want mint plants.

Have a good day.

Roseamore
Patience and plants grow side-by-side.... The art of gardening cultivates them well.

imafan26
Mod

Mint in pots should be divided when the pot looks full. If you wait too long, the mint roots will circle the pot and strangle itself.

Mint is easy to divide. Just take it out of the pot and cut it up into sections. I usually cut one pot into 4 pieces with a bread knife and plant each section in a separate pot.

It is best not to let mint escape since it can be very invasive.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Mint can be invasive and unruly, except when trying to grow for harvest!

I have a 4 x 4 dedicated bed for the Kentucky Colonel variety. I put in 10 pretty starts a year ago, didn't pick much. This spring had filled out, or filled in, quite a bit. Now getting about 5 oz/week is pushing it. Like the other herbs, when harvesting to any degree the seeming flush amounts diminish. Sigh.

There are 2 different spearmints in large pots, along with 4 peppermint pots. Again, I need to watch how and how much I harvest.

FWIW, Kentucky Col has a different growth pattern than the other spearmints. It will grow a nice stem with branches. I cut several back this week as they were trying to go into bloom mode.
Have fun!
Susan

brinboise

Susan W wrote:One way to work with the mint suckers is to have a pot of dirt next to the existing one. Lay the long suckers on the soil, cover enough to hold in place, and start new mint pots!
I tried this on some chocolate mint plant suckers this spring and it worked great...

Roseamore
Cool Member

I set mine up yesterday and I can't wait to see how it works out. If it works this would be a good way to utilize sucrkers without just cutting them off and throwing them away.

I also cut of one of the sucker and I have it in some water in my window sill to see how that works as well.

Roseamore.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”