IceQueenNOLA
Newly Registered

Oregano Flowers

Hi all, thanks for looking.

I'm growing oregano and it has grown some flowers on the top of the stem. I'm very new to gardening, so please be kind. Am I supposed to pluck the little flowers off my oregano? Please help me make my Oregano better, I'd really like to dry it in a month or so.
Attachments
Far left is the Oregano
Far left is the Oregano
image.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, just clip the flowering stems off. That will keep it producing more leaves, and help it get bushier.

That said, if your plant is outside, honeybees love those flowers, so you might want to leave just one for the bees. :)

Oregano is perennial. So, when you want to harvest it, if you be sure to harvest less than half the plant, it will keep growing and be bigger next year.

imafan26
Mod

What kind of oregano is that? I have Greek oregano, but as far as I can remember it has never bloomed or even gotten more than a few inches tall. It might grow differently here.

I do have Mexican oregano and marjoram that does bloom.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally all your little plants (it's oregano, parsley, aloe vera, basil and sage, right?) are very crowded. They will all do better and get bigger, if you have room to spread them out somewhere. Clip the tops off the basil to help it bush out better.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”