cfox248
Newly Registered

My mint is getting brown spots - not rust? (pics!)

So, I bought a bunch of herbs, since growing from seed was a bust. I got some spearmint, as I LOVE mint. the problem is it's getting random brown patches on the leaves. I've looked into rust, and it doesn't look like that - it's more that some leaves have full on brown dead patches. I've included pics - what do you think is wrong? I thought I maybe am not giving it water frequently enough - I usually wait till the soil is dry. Should I water more often? Other than the spots it's growing AWESOME. Very fast, healthy growth.

Thanks! I'm a new herb grower, and it's disheartening - I already lost my basil to some unknown fungus/bug, I don't want my mint to go too! The brown isn't on the stem, and I don't see anything on the underside of the leaves, so I really don't think it's rust.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
mint brown 3.jpg
mint brown 3.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
mint brown.jpg
mint brown.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
mint brown 2.jpg
mint brown 2.jpg (18.28 KiB) Viewed 4215 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't really know; I have seen lots of different answers about that. But I will say that it is quite common with mints and usually not a problem. A few of the leaves will get dark edges, but it doesn't spread and it doesn't seem to harm the plants.

I think we just need to learn to tolerate a certain amount of imperfection! :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”