LordJenkins
Newly Registered

Increasing Menthol Yield

Hey everyone,
Of late I've been an avid mint gardener, propagating chocolate mint, pineapple mint, general spearmint and peppermint, orange mine, and apple mint. I use the leaves for mint extract, teas, and just a refreshing leaf to chew on.
I've been disappointing, however, with the mintiness of my mint lately. They all still definitely smell like mint when rubbed and grow profusely, but the menthol yield per leaf is rather low. I've searched online for ways of promoting biosynthesis of menthol in the plant itself, but have not had any luck finding decent information. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

-Leon

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where you are located. Are you in one of the areas that has had a lot of rain lately?

Lots of water or lots of fertilization tends to produce big leafy plants with less flavor. Herbs in general are more flavorful when a bit stressed in lean soil with limited water. "Grow profusely" sounds like a clue that you are making life too easy for them. :)

LordJenkins
Newly Registered

Indeed you are correct! I may spoil them a bit too much...thank you for the advice!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”