MasonSebastian

Unidentified Plant Growing with Sage

Hi there, anyone knows what kind of plant is growing beside this 1 month old sage plant? Quite freaky stuff:
Attachments
PictureSDnew 104.jpg
PictureSDnew 105.jpg

imafan26
Mod

They look like mushrooms. Your soil may be too wet. Sage likes soil to be well drained.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Agree, looks like mushrooms. Your potting mix must have wood that the mushrooms are growing from. They are harmless, they will just help the decomposition process. In my experience growing herbs like sage and lavender from seed is tricky. Try not to over water but also don't cut back on watering that it dries out. And at a young age they dry out really easy.

MasonSebastian

Thanks. I changed soil mix and using compost + sand + perlite + coco husk mix. I only water once a week, though I spray the top soil 2-3 times a week but not soaking wet, just to give moisture on the soil.

Anyway, as you can see, 1 of the 3 lower leaves has been eaten out. I was still not able to find what is eating my sage leaves (they were about 10-15 seedlings and the leaves were eaten out every night, only 4 of the seedlings remain so these are pretty much precious). I suspect snails at first so I put salt around the area of the pot. Still some of them got eaten away. So probably mice. I put pepper (cayenne) around the area but some of them are still eaten. I am now growing them in a pot with window screen (1 cm screens) wrapped around the pot.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It could be crickets or earwigs too.

imafan26
Mod

Slugs are sneaky, they climb into the drain holes of the pot and hide there eating plant roots too.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”