Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary

I have never been able to keep Rosemary growing very long in Tennessee.

I have a Rosemary plant in the front yard of the Arizona house it grows like crazy. All I have to do is trim it like a bush to keep it smaller and under control. It grows year round the 21 degrees winter weather we had did not hurt it at all. Bush is almost 5 feet diameter now.

Rosemary must like sandy well drained soil and hot dry weather?

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I live in NJ and I have a rosemary plant that is in the ground that goes like crazy. I didn't trim it until this year. It gets snowed on, rained on, hailed on. It never browns or loses it leaves. It did get a few dead spots on it this year but it seems to be doing good again and flowering again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, although it will survive a variety of other places/conditions:

" sandy well drained soil and hot dry weather " is exactly what rosemary likes.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I have well drained soil - not necessarily sandy. Yes hot but nothing like dry. Try wet and humid. My rosemary is perennial. Prune it in January just to maintain a decent shape. Doing much better since I moved my herbs from pots to an herb bed. Did the transfer in March. Rosemary and other herbs are at least 1/3 to 1/2 larger than they were when transplanted. Love rosemary with pork and lamb. Yumm!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

BTW - I LOVE prostrate rosemary as a ground cover in a low maintenance flower bed or in a planting box. Let it drape.

thurkun

I'm in Chattanooga, TN and the Rosemary grows like crazy. Try either Rosemary Arp or BarBQue because we do get the occasional cold snaps in Tenn. and either of these are hardy to -20F.

imafan26
Mod

Rosemary does like well drained soil. After the first year it can live on rain and occasional summer watering. Too much water, even in well drained soil and the rosemary will become a tree.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”