Vstrong25
Newly Registered

Brand New at this

I'm starting my first herbs in pots. I have mint and parsley, which I heard both like moist, slightly acidic soil? I read that Oregano likes to dry out, some, so I was going to put that in a separate pot. Would the same soil work for it, or does it like something else?
Thank you, in advance, for your help... I've read through some posts on this site and everyone seems very kind.

Vstrong25
Newly Registered

Re: Brand New at this

Thanks!

They were on sale, three for the price of two. We use a lot of oregano, and I'm determined to learn to make tabouli... I'm not a huge basil fan, so my next endeavor may be cilantro.

imafan26
Mod

Most herbs aren't all that fussy. I do agree that mint needs to be in its own pot because it will take over. Mint can stay in the sun but will be lusher with more water and some shading if you live in a hot area. Oregano, thyme, sage, and dill are relatively dry herbs that don't need to have a lot of water or fertilizer.
Some herbs can be planted in the same pot if the pot is large enough, but it is easier to manage perennial herbs in their own pots so they have room to spread.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Vstrong25 wrote:Thanks!

They were on sale, three for the price of two. We use a lot of oregano, and I'm determined to learn to make tabouli... I'm not a huge basil fan, so my next endeavor may be cilantro.
Tastes are different in such an interesting way. I don't much care for oregano altho' I've just about always had it . . . and use so little that I kind of wonder why. Basil is my choice whenever others might be using oregano.

Tabouli?? I had to look that up. Oh, you mean rice salad but, with a substitute for the rice :wink: . Ah but the cilantro -- there you will need to learn to sow & resow and try to figure out how to get a good crop without it bolting quickly to seed -- so that you can sow & resow . . . Maybe there is a coriander cookie recipe in your future.

:) Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”