ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Herb bed in

Decided toplant my herbs in a small bed instead of pots. Too much work during the heat of summer. My pots were sitting on loose set pavers in full sun. Took the pavers out and used old bricks to edge the bed. I thought I had enough compost left. Should have done my math first. I had to add a couple of 2 cubic foot bags of soil to the mix. I did thiis yesterday. Took the herbs out of the pots and planted in my pretty new bed. It STORMED last night! Big lightening and thunder, power went out for about 3 hours, 2" of rain! I walk out this morning :cry: Looks like I am going to need another couple of bags of soil. It really got compacted.

I have a rosemary, sage, thyme, 3 dill, 4 basil (more seedlings in pots - I use lots of basil), oregano, parsley and cilantro. I left the parsley and cilantro in pots so I can move them out of the full sun when it gets too warm. I want to add fennel and thinking about celery root. Oh and lavender. Rainbow inspired me with her lavender biscotti recipe.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely lavender! :) Lavender brownies/ lavender chocolate cake, lavender syrup/ jelly, lavender ice cream, lavender whip cream, lavender in herbal tea blends, lavender scented soap, candles, lotions .....

I'm sure you know all the mediterranean herbs like lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, don't really like topsoil/compost. Too heavy, dense, rich moisture holding. They prefer sandier / leaner mixes.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks rainbow - I will work some mason sand in.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a start there! Lavender is great, but sometimes short lived with us. I don't think it's the hot days, but warm humid nights. If you are just using the blooms need several nice plants.

Now, forewarning. You have a piece of ground there, playing with the herbs. Keep your blinders on when at a garden center. LOL!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Sounds like it will give you a lot of nice herbs!

imafan26
Mod

The only thing with fennel is that it does not like company. There are only a few things that went well with it.

It doesn't like any of its' parsley family relatives. It is ok next to ginger, horseradish, gynuura and probably onions.

It does go well near the kennel as a flea repellent. I have it in a corner or the herb garden. It attracts all kinds of beneficial insects but also a lot of aphids. I don't put anything near fennel that gets the same kind of aphid.

It works pretty well. I have almost no problems at all with green aphids for a couple of years now.

estorms

You can eat lavender?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Just one of many recipes for lavender shortbread. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

estorms wrote:You can eat lavender?
Of course you can eat lavender ... Lavender brownies/ lavender chocolate cake, lavender syrup/ jelly, lavender ice cream, lavender whip cream, lavender in herbal tea blends ...

I love the lavender syrup! Great on ice cream, pancakes, cake, etc.
e.g. https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lavende ... 000608419/

Look for lavender chocolate in the stores.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”