PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Is this Oregano or Thyme?

A few months back I started some oregano and thyme seeds. I got them both to sprout but I lost the seedlings to one of them. Later I transplanted the seedlings I had and they are doing great. This whole time I have been thinking I am growing Oregano but I am having doubts. Leaves are smaller and the smell reminds me more of thyme. So which is it, Oregano or Thyme? (BTW it is growing pretty fast)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's a pretty tough call. They both have so many varieties and varying shapes that they often look pretty similar. If it were in my garden, I'd do the smell and taste test to determine. They really don't small or taste that much alike to me.

Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Ech

It also looks like Thyme to me, but why not just taste it?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I will do a taste test soon. But to be honest I don;t eat enough thyme or oregano where I can distinguish between the two. BTW, if ti helps, the oregano and thyme I started by seed are just your standard varieties.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Use bottled thyme and oregano for comparison for taste/ sniff tests.

sepeters

My guess is thyme. And it looks good, too! Nice and perky and healthy. Much better looking than my scraggly oregano.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I'm guessing thyme. Then real question, if you don't know difference, why plant them?!
Beyond that PR, stop by our market on Sat AM, and I'll let you sniff a bunch of herbs, well some as there isn't a full amount yet. Just kidding!!

FWIW, I have thyme to sprout, but oregano? Nada! I have only tried once this winter and results close to zilch.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I use both herbs but very little. Since I plan to make sauces this year I wanted to have some fresh thyme and oregano. I do have dried oregano and thyme so I will try and do a taste test/smell test.

Ech

Well if you are talking about making a red wine sauce with an onion and garlic base, I can promise you Thyme makes an excellent addition. I like I especially if you add a little chopped green pepper.

imafan26
Mod

It looks like thyme.
thyme leaves are about 1/4 inch or less and are kind of stiff.

Oregano, has soft leaves and are more bitter than thyme. Greek oregano leaves are rounder and Italian looks more like marjoram. Oregano leaves feel more fuzzy when you rub a leaf.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”