MasonSebastian

Trouble with Thyme and Marjoram Seeds

Hi there. I planted thyme and marjoram a couple of weeks ago. There were 2 pots of each. I just noticed that last Sunday, thyme#1 wilted just after a week of sowing, while #2 is still thriving. Same with Marjoram, #2 is still ok. That was last Wednesday. I checked them both today and Thyme #2 and Marjoram #2 both are wilting, like their stems are resting on the border of the pots.

I water them every 3 days since I live in Manila where temperatures are about 34 to 36 celsius. From what Ive read, thyme is drought resistant. On the other hand, I don't know how marjoram really works.

I also sown them closely to each other though. Could this be the problem? I also noticed the leaves of thyme are rotting. is this a sign of over watering?

Thank you!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have learned that when checking for water you look at the soil to see if it is dry and you lift the pot and feel if it is heavy or light. If the soil is dry and the pot is light you water. Even drought tolerant herbs, when young they need to be watered regularly. Are the leaves first yellowing then browning/rotting? If so then that is a sign of over watering. Are they indoors or outdoors? Some herbs are tough to start by seed, the problem is either over watering or under watering. After trial and error you get better. Some herbs I have attempted 3-4 times before getting a plant. Some herbs I sow and then thin to a single plant and others I do not thin and leave to grow as a clump. If you have any pictures put them on here and it will help to better identify the problem.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wilting is tricky. Plants can wilt from over-watering or under watering.

36 C is 97 F = very hot! Difficult conditions for starting seedlings. Only watering every 3-4 days in weather like that doesn't sound like enough. My indoor seedlings get watered (a little bit, from the bottom) every day or every other day.

But leaves rotting could be too much moisture. If so, it sounds like not so much over-watering as not enough drainage, the soil holding too much moisture. Are they perhaps in peat pots?

To help more, we would need to know more about the conditions, indoors, outdoors, under lights, how you are watering, the soil, the pots. As noted a picture would help....

imafan26
Mod

thyme and marjoram like to go almost dry between watering. In Manilla you are hot and humid. Thyme and marjoram are Mediterranean plants. They like a well drained soil, in the sun. They don't like to be over watered. They can go almost dry.

MasonSebastian

I ditched in some controlled release fertilizer (15-18-20) Wednesday after I notice them sagging. If you will notice, the bunch at the right side turned brown. Soil is moist btw. Sometimes I put a plastic over them to retain moisture and shield away from too much sun (this is the east window, sun probably at 8am to 1pm)

Watering is twice a week. I am not directly splashing water in the middle, but I let it drip on the sides. Temps at 32 to 36c now and it is summer. it wasnt like this a week ago. :( Thank you

applestar
Mod

I'm sorry but I see two reasons these seedlings were not doing well:

One is that they are much too much over crowded. The seedlings should be separate. When sowing tiny seeds like this, it's a good idea to mix with sand and use a salt shaker or pepper shaker. Another idea is to use a moistened toothpick and physically only sow a few seeds at 1 or 2 cm intervals, which will make it easier to thin or transplant later.

The other is that they are actually not getting enough light. Thyme and marjoram should be able to handle the East sun.
-- Ideally from soil to first set of leaves which are seed leaves, they should be 1cm tall at most. They should have been exposed to strong light as soon as any sproutling had emerged.

Finally, they are much too young for strong fertilizer like the one you mentioned. They may be getting chemical burns.

Are there any NEW sprouts among them that are much shorter? if there are, I would prick them out -- I.e. scoop them out -- with something sharp -- a knife point, tweezers, ... I use the scooping end of a crab pick.... And plant them in a new soil mix without any fertilizer. I prefer 1/3 each sand, garden soil, and compost. Make sure the container has drainage holes.

If there are any that look sturdier, you could try those. You can take up to 3 or 4 together and plant them deeper all the way to just below the seed leaves. Separate esch clump by at least 3-4cm for easier care. After a day or two to let them settle down, pick the healthiest one to keep in each bunch and trim the rest with a sharp pointed scissors like cuticle scissors, nail clippers, or embroidery scissors.

Ech

Honestly, with all that heat and humidity, I think you need better air circulation. Try a small fan on a low setting.

MasonSebastian

Thanks :) I will do that, but on another set of seeds. One question is since I am doing the coke bottle pot, should I put wood shavings underneath > then sand > then compost? Do they grow better on organic compost potting mix or any ordinary soil will do?

Ech

Thyme is honestly a very hardy perennial. I have planted them everywhere from garden windows to my tomato garden. They seem to tolerate anything including being dry for a while. I would honestly start them in a soil that drains well, maybe add some vermiculite (maybe 10%). This helps prevent rot in those baby roots. Water as needed but don't let the seedlings get dry.

The odd thing about herbs though is that you want to let them sit dry a few days before harvest, you basicly want to stress the plant. When this happens the the plant generates more essential oils resulting in better medicinal and culinary quality.

Cola82
Green Thumb

A bonus when thinning herbs is eating them. I've been eating all the basil I cull and the tiny basil leaves are just exploding with incredible flavor.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”