imafan26
Mod

How to grow Perilla (Shiso)

I have problems growing green shiso (perilla), The red shiso is easier to grow but is more suited to pickling than eating with sushi or sashimi.

How do you get the seeds to sprout? I have tried many times and I have yet to succeed sprouting seeds on purpose.

I have grown shiso from cuttings, but the cuttings will bolt the same time as the parent plant.

I did allow a hybrid red/green shiso to reseed. I got a lot of seedlings. A couple of those did mature and lasted quite a long time in the garden (all summer) getting up to 4 ft tall before bolting. They grew in full sun in the summer, so it was not heat alone that caused bolting.

However, when I tried to pot up the extra seedlings, half of them bolted to seed even though they were very young.

Have you got any ideas on how I can get green shiso to sprout more reliably and why some seedlings are bolting so young?

Tonio
Green Thumb

As far a sowing, I barely cover the seeds, just enough to help keep moist. I would need to see how long it took from last years notes.

They do bolt quickly even in small pots, they are like a weed, so more room, the larger they get. Did you prune the flowers back? I prune them away to keep them bushy- like basil.

I already have some reseeded aka shiso that I had forgot about.

imafan26
Mod

I have pruned them in the past, but it does not stop them from blooming. Now, I just compost them and keep only one or two and let it reseed. Once in a while I will get a few that grow over 4ft tall and last three or four months in the summer. The survivors have all been red or red/green hybrids.

What kind of soil mix did you use to sprout the seed?

How much water did you give them? I thought maybe my media was too wet.

applestar
Mod

I have both reds and greens, and they self seed and grow like weeds. So prolific I never bother to keep any seeds to grow, though I strip and freeze or dry the immature seeds of both kinds for condiment.

They are drought tolerant and wet tolerant, and grow in full sun to almost full shade -- I think they do better in semi-shade. Reds are definitely hardier than greens however.

They are up relatively early in the season so maybe you want cooler temps to start them? Or maybe they respond better to cold stratification?

The green ones do grow to 4-5 feet or so when they get a lot of water. I don't think my red ones ever get that tall -- maybe 3 feet. I think they all go to seed together (regardless of age -- 4 footers or two pairs of true leaf babies that sprouted and grew in late summer/early fall) like a switch has been flipped when the days get shorter in the fall so may be what you are both experiencing is more daylight length oriented.

Tonio
Green Thumb

imfan,
I sowed on 4/22/12 so temps should have been around highs mid to upper 60's, lows around 55F. I get morning dew quite often, and sprayed/watered every day or 2. Soil : fir bark fines, peat, perlite in a rectangluar pot. They germ'd in about a week in the morning sun/afternoon shade. Once germ'd I moved them to direct sunlight, and mulched with some home made compost.
Shiso need light to germinate.

imafan26
Mod

The longest lasting shiso that I have had grew in in soil that can only be described as clay bog. It grew through summer from March through to July before flowering. I cut pruned the tops but did not remove them till January. They were pretty much dead by then.

I have new seedlings sprouting now in the ground where the old plants had reseeded in the garden. They are also growing between the pavers in the path.

Usually, if plants come up on their own in the garden, they are ready to sprout in pots. I don't think they need cold stratification, the night temps get to the low 50's and occasionally dip into the high 40's (rarely). The seeds are kept in a refrigerator, which should be colder than that. The ones in the garden may be responding more to the increasing daylight.

I have tried seeds in pots. I was told not to handle the seeds, so I was careful not to touch them.

I seed the pots like any other. I use peat lite. I do not cover small seeds, just sprinkle them over the surface. They are on a bench in the sun. Right now the night temperatures are still around 68 degrees and days are 78 degrees. They get watered almost daily. I even got new seeds, so far germination remains zero.

You may be right about them all seeding together. The three plants that lasted the longest in the garden were different ages but went to seed about the same time.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”