Susan W
Greener Thumb

Parsley

My parsley in large containers (16 -20") still going, and perking up with a few warmer and longer days. I keep the previous season's going for awhile, at least until new is going. The curly doing better than the flat FWIW.

I started 4 12" pots last Sept, thinking there was a place for them, and that changed. So those pots brought in when cold, and out, perhaps big enough now to cut a few leaves. I admit to not pampering them. I started new seeds this month, and have a few pitiful seedlings.

When checking HD and Lowes today, there were the beautiful full parsley starts. (these are Bonnie brand, and I have had winners and losers with them). Sigh. OK, didn't get any....today. Just need to get space ready. the fresh cut parsley is for the farmers market.

Thanks for listening, or reading, or sighing with me!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My parsley plants, flat and curly leaf, over-wintered very well this year and the flat leaf is now starting to go to seed. They both put out amazing quantities of product and I dried a pint jar full of the flat leaf for my brother-in-law a couple weeks ago.

I use the curly leaf more so than the flat leaf and it is still going great. I'll lose these plants when the summer heat comes so I'll put some in pots for the shade of the back porch to see if I can keep some coming all summer long.

Parsley is one herb I use a lot of when cooking.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Gumbo, thanks for input. Now, questions...... Do you start from seed or buy starts? Grown in-ground or containers? Shade/part/sun?

I've been getting starts every spring, and pot up about 5 large containers. This has some sun, dappled. They do, perhaps could use more TLC. The curly sells better than flat, so grow more of that! Meantime I have had access to a garden close by. There was parsley, in ground, full sun, and going gangbusters, perhaps through Dec. That batch went south with the cold while mine held better. Go figure!

I am re-grouping for this season. Plan to freshen and do the existing pots (old parsley goes to parsley heaven in the compost), and have an in-ground with partial/dappled.

I'm on a learning curve, sometimes think I'm at the lower side!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Parsley almost always overwinters well here in zone 7/8. One thing that I've noticed as this biennial is easy to trick into thinking that it is its second season therefore should go to seed. If the seeds are planted during cool weather, then that is season one, and they will tend to go to seed very early with the onset of warm weather. If a batch of seed is planted in late spring after the weather has warmed, the plants thinks [this is season one] and will grow through summer, fall, and winter, before going to seed in year two.

So be sure to plant some late spring seeds, for a year round crop.

Also, IMO, buying parsley transplants is almost a waste of time for anyone in zone 8 or warmer, unless you happen to be totally out, I.e. didn't grow any through the winter. For us most nursery bought transplants go to seed very early in the summer.

Also worth a try in my opinion, is letting one or two plants go to seed. They will freely reseed and you can let the plants grow where the seeds fall or can transplant to another location. The plants almost always move without much of a slowdown.

sepeters

So true Hendi! I have the same problem with any herb from a nursery/greenhouse. They don't like my environment and do poorly when I plant out.

I am hoping my celery goes to seed early in the season so I can get some planted in the spring rather than fall. Provided the hail didn't just kill it, that is.

imafan26
Mod

I plant parsley from seed all the time. I only need one or two plants. I guess the cold makes them go to seed. I have grown parsley for years. They live two maybe three years and the root gets bigger and the leaves shrink, but my parsley has never gone to seed. It lives through summer just fine in zone 11. I have more problems with them in the rainy season. They get gray mold and if it rains everyday for weeks, then the root can rot.

I also like to grow chervil. It is an annual and does not like hot weather, but it has a mild cucumber taste.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Susan W wrote:Gumbo, thanks for input. Now, questions...... Do you start from seed or buy starts? Grown in-ground or containers? Shade/part/sun?

I've been getting starts every spring, and pot up about 5 large containers. This has some sun, dappled. They do, perhaps could use more TLC. The curly sells better than flat, so grow more of that! Meantime I have had access to a garden close by. There was parsley, in ground, full sun, and going gangbusters, perhaps through Dec. That batch went south with the cold while mine held better. Go figure!

I am re-grouping for this season. Plan to freshen and do the existing pots (old parsley goes to parsley heaven in the compost), and have an in-ground with partial/dappled.

I'm on a learning curve, sometimes think I'm at the lower side!
I grow them in the ground until they die off---usually when summer heat gets here. I'll buy some starts and put them in pots on my back porch that gets only morning sun until around 10 a.m. They will struggle through the summer months but require much more watering to keep them going since pots dry out quicker than my garden soil.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for input. As I am in the chilly zone 6-7 have slightly different temps. Also I need quantity 12 months, well not so much Jan-Feb as I only do the market every 2 -3 weeks.

When I picked Friday, saw that all 6 parsley pots need help. I figure to re-do 3 with the purchased plants, then the next 3. By then I may have the new in-ground space worked and can add more there. The purchased ones (Bonnie brand) usually have 3 good sized starts. I can sell 3 bunches and re-coup cost of one purchased starter pot.

As for what's being pulled out, if parsley any good goes into soup, if not to parsley heaven (compost) along with top 1/3 to 1/2 of dirt. Then refill with a fairly rich mix and re-plant. I figure to go fairly rich on parsley as it is a 'grower'.

I'll put my own pitiful seed starts in another container.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Corrections, additions. I'm in 7, no zone 6's here!

When getting a few bags of soil amendments at the box store, got 3 parsley (curly) pots. These each have 4 starts and look pretty. It comes out to about $1/start. As I'll be trying to do the market every week now, need inventory.

Now, if weather will just be somewhat pretty for a couple of days, can get some things done!

alloyjane
Newly Registered

I have yet to get parsley to germinate. I don't know why it won't, drives me nuts. Am gonna try for the millionth time because I really want parsley. I do the soak-overnight thing, any other tips to get it growing from seed? I'm in Zone 9/Sunset Zone 22. Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

Do you cover your seed?

For harder to germinate seed, that need light. I sprinkle the seed on top and cover with a damp paper towel. I keep the towel moist but not soggy. Check periodically to see if there are sprouts. I wait about a week before I look. I remove the paper towel and introduce them to more light gradually after most have sprouted.

applestar
Mod

Parsley takes longer to sprout. I've given up on them in the past and bought starts too.

This year, I was experimenting with soaked seeds and dense sowing and decided to give parsley a try again.

So, seeds soaked overnight at room temp (upper 60's) in initially warm water. Surface sowed in a 2x2x2.5"D cell of moistened straight unscreened potting mix (dry-filled to rim with Dr. Earth Pot of Gold, then cell tray set in room temp water to soak thoroughly, then allowed to drain raised over a drip tray).
- Sprinkled with sand and coir to anchor but not cover then pressed into the moist surface with finger and misted down (seeds exposed).
- Covered surface with plastic food wrap loosely laid down (stuck onto wet rim from the misting)
- Left on warm top of the fluorescent light fixture. 85-90°F.
- Lifted off the food wrap twice a day to check and to mist if reduced condensation indicated soil drying.
- Success! << going to go check my notes to see how long it took >>

...OK I'm back...

So Parsley was sowed in one of a 6-cell pack and, for comparison, I'll list them all:

3/17 Cabbage Early Jersey Wakefield 3/19
3/17 Kohlrabi Purple Vienna 3/19
3/17 Parsley 3/24,7,8
3/17 Sw. Pepper Corno di Toro Red 3/25,6,7,8,9
3/17 Eggplant Japanese Early Black, Rosa Bianca 3/27,8,9
3/17 Eggplant Ping Tung Long 3/28,9

They were densely sowed so I stopped recording after they really started sprouting, but you get the idea. NOTE though that I only have 4-5 sprouted parsley seedlings even though I sowed a good pinch -- 12-15 seeds. All of the other seeds had much better germination (some ridiculously so -- I had plenty of cabbage seeds to for the dense planting experiment and sowed a good double or even triple pinch of seeds to see if they can still be grown into viable seedlings... I now have something like 3 dozen cabbage seedlings now :roll:)

Hmm... I might have others, but I only have this picture uploaded. This was before parsley sprouted -- it's between cabbage and kohlrabi so the cell is still loosely covered with a piece of food wrap (ignore the yellow tape):

--- Came back to add :wink: ---

I took a new picture. It seems I failed to take before and after pictures before uppotting most of the cabbage (about 24) and kohlrabi (8 or 9) seedlings :roll:. In this picture, the remaining cabbage and kohlrabi runts were mostly buried deeper than how they had sprouted when they were returned to their cells.

It turns out that I have 7 parsley seedlings (front center cell). Please keep in mind that I'm INTENTIONALLY growing these lanky and overcrowded to see if they can be saved by adapting some techniques from the dense sowing method. :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I can get the parsley to germinate pretty well, and that is with my very simple set-up. Then I can get them up to a couple of inches, but slow, and so slow to grow into anything pickable. Sigh.

sepeters

So far none of my biennials which are due to go to seed are doing so! I'm wondering if it's because they are all in pots and I brought them inside rather than covering them when we had frost. Though they did get hit with hail twice and lightly dusted with "snow" once.
I was hoping to collect the seed since I am all out! How can I (or can I?) force my parsley to bolt and go to seed? I'm pretty sure the celery, parsley, and chard will all die this summer, regardless.

imafan26
Mod

It is true parsley can take a long time to germinate, up to 28 days. It can be faster though. The germination rates are not fantastic, so it is best to overseed a bit.

I remember a saying that parsley used to be considered bad luck. Planting parsley meant that someone in the house was going to die.

I think that was because it did indeed take so long to grow.

I put parsley in soups, salads, sausages, casseroles, and it is ok to eat at end of a meal for a pallet cleanser or freshener. I have put parsley in compound butters too. I prefer making butters to other methods of preservation. One reason is the whole idea of having fresh herbs is because they are fresh.

It is easy to make an herb butter and the flavor of the herb is retained better than when drying.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”