imafan26
Mod

How to grow black pepper?

Anyone growing piper nigrum -- Black pepper.
My friend gave me a cutting and I successfully got a couple of plants started. It is incredibly slow. I have it in the shade under my bench. It is kept moist.
Should I try putting it out in more sun and fertilizing? I don't usually fertilize vines, they usually don't need it.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I don't know where on Hawaii you live, but we visited a farm on Kauai that grew a little bit of everything, including black pepper. The name of the farm is Steel Grass Farm and is operated by Emily and Will Lydgate.

Living in Ohio,we do not grow peppercorns here,but maybe they can help.
We loved visiting you beautiful blue islands!

imafan26
Mod

Thank you. I really appreciate where I live especially when I leave it for a while. The deep blue of the Pacific ocean, relatively clean air (except on voggy days), water that tastes like water not bleach, and having windows open all of the time . Then, there is the local food that I take for granted, and miss whenever I am away.

While I love the pictures people have posted of snowy mountains and colorful skylines, I think it is too cold when it is 62 degrees.
I'd love to have fresh picked peaches, see the colors change in the fall (as long as I don't have to rake up the leaves), and the massive trees in Washington and Oregon.

To get back on track, my black pepper is growing, I got a cutting a year ago from a friend. I just want it to hurry up. It is only about three feet max now. I have seen the one at Foster garden, it is also in the shade, it gets dappled light but doesn't seem to be growing that fast either.

I might try fertilizing it more and see what happens.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

(I think it is too cold when it is 62 degrees.) I still don't know how to do a quote! Best I can do!

That is it! My hubby calls me a snake for being cold natured... I am a displaced Hawaiian! :D

Seriously, I would love to learn to grow black pepper is this strictly a tropical plant?

applestar
Mod

Logee's sells Piper nigrum and it's on my Wishlist :D

Here's their online care sheet:
https://www.logees.com/ftg/Piper.pdf

What do you think?

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Applestar for the cultural sheet. It is the most complete one around.

All I can find are that pipers come from tropical regions Malabar, Southern India and Borneo. They are also mostly grown on trees in the rainforest.
I am guessing they are true tropicals, but could be kept as houseplants.

There are other pipers growing here Awa (kava kava) which is usually attached to trees or posts, it grows slowly, in dappled shade.

Piper lolot, is another plant of the pepper family that is used in Lao and Vietnamese cooking as a wrap for marinated grilled meats. It has shiny leaves and does grow in full sun to part shade. Once it gets established it needs to have its' runners pulled to keep it from wandering off. I have this one growing in the herb garden. The leaves have a mild peppery taste which it imparts to the meat as it cooks.

I can't really find a whole lot of cultural information on whether I should keep it in the shade where it is or try moving it out to more sun and how much I should fertilize it.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the link Apple,
So it will be outside in the dappled shade for the summer months and back inside with lighting and heat for the winter months.
I could maybe make it like a Bonsai? :lol:
I wonder if it would still bear peppercorns with only having sunlight outside for summer months?
I have a long season, but really I am on the border of zone 8, so still technically a zone 7.
Definitely not a zone 10!

Bovina_Beas

I recently purchased one of these from Companion Plants and here's the info I was given:

They want bright indirect light or at least partial shade during the day. They are heavy feeders so fertilize them regularly(any commercial vegetable fertilizer will do). They like being keep damp(not soggy) and warm - 80 to 95 degrees will make them think they're home. Below 55 degrees or so they'll stop growing; freezing will kill them.

I'm excited to see this thing grow. Any new growth on yours imafan26?

imafan26
Mod

My piper is growing under my bench. I managed to make a couple of cutting from it. It took a long time to root. The vine is about 5 feet long now and seems happy.

I won't get peppers I am told till the vine is closer to 20 ft.

Bovina_Beas

imafan26 wrote:My piper is growing under my bench. I managed to make a couple of cutting from it. It took a long time to root. The vine is about 5 feet long now and seems happy.

I won't get peppers I am told till the vine is closer to 20 ft.
Mine was about 5-6" tall when I bought it and it's a little over a foot now. I'm starting to see what looks small peppers shoots beginning to form on it. Did you notice any of these as it started to grow?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”