ButterflyGarden

Stevia - How To?

Someone gave me a lovely little Stevia plant which is now growing nicely in a container out my kitchen window. The questions are
a) Do you have any tips for growing stevia?
b) how do I harvest and use it? I know it is sweetener, but I don't know how to get from the plant to the table.

Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Hi
I have listed a couple of sites with recipes to make stevia extract. The dried leaves can be ground and used too. Remember to use very little. It is 30 times sweeter than sugar in powder form and even more than that as an extract (Extract use only a drop or two) Too much stevia brings out the bitterness more than the sweet. A quarter teaspoon can sweeten a pither of Ice tea.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/how-to ... tevia.html
https://www.foodrenegade.com/how-make-li ... a-extract/

Stevia is in the aster family. It has tiny blooms. After bloom, the top of the plant dries, and the plant goes dormant. It will send out new shoots from the roots. Stevia seeds are tiny but do germinate. Some sources say that stevia's sweetness varies from plant to plant, so it is better to grow the stevia from cuttings.

applestar
Mod

I remembered posting and reading a bunch of good stuff in this thread about stevia:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=29379

I think I'll go read through it, too. :wink:

ButterflyGarden

Thanks. I searched for a thread but this didn't come up. I wonder why.

So, I'm not supposed to let it flower?

Mr_bobo_

ButterflyGarden wrote: b) how do I harvest and use it? I know it is sweetener, but I don't know how to get from the plant to the table.
...I hear that stevia is like forbidden (for global production) in USA, because it can totally replace sugar... and global production will have negative effect to sugar economy...

...before 2 months I was taste stevia...
...and I was surprised how sweet it is... I was know it is... but I did not know how much...
...this plant is recommended as replacement for sugar to people which have diabetes...

...harvest is easy... simple rip leaves from plant...
...you can cut 1/3 plant as well, then simple dry it... as plants for tea...
...and then after they are dry good, grind them to a powder...
...how strong you want to grind it, its up to you...

...you can use it in tea, coffee... and lot other things...

imafan26
Mod

Butterfly, stevia can be harvested longer if flowering can be delayed. It likes the sun but not the heat of summer, so morning sun is best for where I live. It is tender so will need winter protection. I can grow it outdoors in zone 10-11 but it would be happier with a longer day length. It does re seed but germination is 10-15%. It grows easily from cuttings, I have to time it right so that the cuttings have time to develop a vigorous root system before they flower.
https://www.stevia.com/Stevia_article/Gr ... tevia/8077

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I had like a dozen seeds that I sowed a few days ago. I buried some very shallow and others I sprinkled just on top of the seed starting mix. Wet it good and have plastic over the top to keep moisture in. I also have it on a table where some sunlight shines on it. Will see if I get sprouts.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My stevia sprouted in 4 days. Now to baby it until it gets past its critical point.

imafan26
Mod

I read that some stevia from seed may vary in sweetness. So far I have had no problems with that.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”