evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Growing coriander

Hi all

I really struggle to grow coriander in my garden. I once grew a different type that only had small thin leaves and produced a lot of seeds but all subsequent attempts have slowly disappeared until completely dead.

I have tried more and less sun, the same with water and always properly drained soil.

I recently tried to grow some plants from seed. They all germinate and grow to about 8cm high but along the way get all spindly. Then they start to die off. They're not infected and the leaves actually look healthy, except the plant doesn't grow enough of them.

What is wrong?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

For starters they grow best in cooler weather. The spindly growth sounds like legginess, because they are not getting enough growth. My guess is that you have weak seedlings and they never get established or grow healthy. You should direct seed the cilantro in a sunny or partial shade area and water moderately. They may benefit from a liquid fertilizer but only at 1/2 or 1/4 strength but I would not make it a regular routine. Could you explain more what they are stared in? Type of soil, lighting, time of year?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I really thought they like hot sunny weather? I have not given them too much water although my dad might have when he looked after my seedlings for me. But the ones that lived should be doing better with less water now. I have several in potting soil and one or 2 went into peat by mistake. Oddly those are the biggest.

It is very hot in my yard, although the seedling are in a shadier place. Some have more sun, some less to see what is best.

I can't help the temperature but hopefully the temperatures will decline in a month or two. If these don't survive, I will start again. These were germinated at the beginning of summer.

In the past I have bought plants at various times of the year and planted them in beds, pots and even the windowsill but they all died.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Summer is the worst time to grow cilantro. Try growing it by direct seeding in Fall.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Summer is the worst time to grow cilantro. Try growing it by direct seeding in Fall.
Ok cool I will try that. I must say our summer is really hot and dry this year too. All my celery and parsley has bolted. I will try all 3 when it gets cooler. Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Try growing cilantro where you only get morning sun. It needs to have a rich soil that stays evenly moist.
Cilantro will bolt in the heat. Even slo bolt and Leisure bolted after 1-1/2
months. when the temps were over 85 degrees.
I do have cilantro growing now and it is about 10-12 inches tall. It will last about 3 months, but I can extend the harvest by picking leaves every week and if I keep cutting the flowering stem I might get 5-6 months in all.

To get the coriander flavor with less trouble try culantro. It is used in Vietnamese Pho and in Mexican recaito. It is perennial (where I am), it likes water and as long as it is grown in the shade the leaves will stay fairly large. It can be grown under shade cloth. Here's a link about culantro for you.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proc ... 4-506.html

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have some Culantro seeds and I am gonna try it this Spring.

imafan26
Mod

Culantro is grows slowly but once it establishes it re seeds itself.
It is interesting to grow it. :P

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I hope I can grow it as a perennial here in Southern California.

imafan26
Mod

It is native to tropical America and the West Indies. I know it won't tolerate freezing, but it actually does better in cooler weather and does not like to be in hot sun, preferring about 50% shade. As long as you do not get freezing temperatures it should grow for you, otherwise you should still be able to grow it as a pot plant.
The site says that it is a biennial. I really don't know. I have too many of them growing (in the weeds) to tell if any of them die off regularly.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks for all the advice. I seeded some coriander a few weeks ago but it was just a bit cold. I then put plastic bottles over all my pots, which raised the temperatures enough to sprout my coriander. It's all very happy in the cool weather with its little greenhouse for night time. I'm so looking forward to winter curry and coriander, mmm.

Then in summer hopefully the plants will be big enough to survive the lower-light conditions in the kitchen. If not then we will just eat it :)

I had started parsley earlier which is also happy in its little greenhouses and my celery is growing quite big in the garden - it always loves the cold weather.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”