PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Herbs will calming effects?

Hi,

Could some one give me a list of good herbs with calming effects? Thx

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My favorites are lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender, if what you want is calming and relaxing, not sedative.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Valerian also. But if you plan to grow it, be sure to get the correct variety. I can't remember which is which, but I have the "wrong" kind growing wild here; my GF tried to tincture the roots several years ago, but got no results.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

That's nice, I already have those 3 growing from your list RG. But I didn't know Lemon Balm had calming effects. I have heard of valerian too but I thought it was more for sleep. What about Kava Kava?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Pepper mint has the ability to relax the nerves in your throat. It is the best cough medician in the world.

Buy a bottle of PGA = pure grain alcohol pour it in the kitchen blender. Stuff the blender full of pepper mint leaves then whip it into a green milk shake. Strain off the liquid put it back in the bottle. Now you have pepper mint extract.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grow peppermint too. Cool now I have other uses for it. I usually make tea with it or use some in salads and sandwiches.

Mr_bobo_

rainbowgardener wrote:My favorites are lemon balm, chamomile, and lavender, if what you want is calming and relaxing, not sedative.
...I will ad to this... Helichrysum italicum (immortelle)

...Lonicera tellmanniana (honeysuckle)... have nice smell, perfect for some fence... I don't know if anyone do some kind of balsam from it... and what kind of effect have... but from smell, very positive for sure...

Peppermint, Mentha x piperita is also good... I have two variety, and use them for tea...

imafan26
Mod

kava kava (awa) is sedating and helps you sleep.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Hi,

Could some one give me a list of good herbs with calming effects? Thx
Borage tea (leaves and blooming stalks) improves the mood, so I guess it calms too.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”