PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Growing dandelions

Hi,

Could someone share with me some grow tips from personal experience? I am interested in growing several dandelion plants but not sure about spacing as well as sunlight needs. Also should I wait to sow in the Spring? Would they do fine in pots? If so, what would be the ideal pot size?

Thx

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How tolerable are they to shade?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dandelions are weeds! They grow anywhere, sun, shade, dry, wet, you name it. There are (in my climate anyway, don't know about SoCal) no growing tips about dandelions. The only tips are about how not to have dandelions take over your yard.

I don't mean that to sound negative. I love my dandelions. I think the lawn is gorgeous in the spring when it is full of yellow dandelions and purple wild violets. I just think there's nothing special to do to grow them...

applestar
Mod

Wait -- Punk, are you growing the common garden variety dandelions or cultivated dandelions typically selected for their leaves? I've never tried growing the cultivated variety, but judging from the leaves sold in the produce section, they grow much more lush and tender, though that may happen anyway in a more hospitable garden bed vs. compacted lawns, etc.

Either way, they have fairly stong taproots, so I would think they do better in deeper containers. Dandelions that spring up as weeds in small containers that are growing well almost inevitably have found the drainage holes and have grown roots down into the ground underneath.

In my garden, I see two different leaf forms. One is much more jagged (befitting the "teeth of lion") and the cuts start from the leaf vein -- these look much tougher than the other form which consist of serrated leaf edges.

They may be same plants but appear at different times of the year -- I haven't paid enough attention to make the connection.

In the hot sunny, dry area, the leaves tend to hug the ground. I pick the leaves from the ones competing with long grass -- they grow long and stretch up... And the leaves are more tender from the "blanching" effect of the grass surrounding them.

I also use the blossoms for making dandelion flower syrup, which is diluted 4 or 5:1 with water or soda water -- we call this dandelion flower juice. I have also tried using them in baked goods and they are lovely that way.

So far I have not been impressed with the roots. I have tried dried, roasted and ground to brew and also shaved like gobo (burdock roots) in stirfries. I may be harvesting them at the wrong time, or I'm missing a crucial step in their preparation. :?

I'm not sure if the cultivated varieties are equally versatile, or if some attributes have been sacrificed for better (maybe less bitter?) leaves.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Got them in a trade from a gardener here from Canada. I am sure she picked them wild from her property. I plan to eat the leaves as greens and make teas and whatever else with the flowers. But I also heard about dandelion coffee made with the roots but I think I read it takes about 2 years for it to be ready for harvest. Gonna try to grow them in Spring and will see how it goes.

applestar
Mod

I think you may want to sow them now or in January. Dandelions are starting to bloom in the warmest microclimate of the garden when I plant potatoes in spring (about a month before last avg. frost) so I suspect they wake up long before that. Cold stratification may not be a bad idea either (not sure if its necessary without looking this up though).

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have never thought of cultivating dandelions, but more like UNcultivating them! You got seeds from Canada? Perhaps next March-April we can all blow seeds from the seed globes your way, and then be careful what you wish for. (just kidding PR).

I was thinking they were introduced to N. America so did a quick Google check. They were brought early, as with the 1st Euro settlers (Pilgrims etc) as the plants were part of their herb gardens for medicinal and eating. Of course a bunch hitched rides as seeds on clothing, straw and feed for animals etc. Part of their benefit is having tap roots that bring up nutrients from deeper down (like comfrey). Given this, growing in pots not a good option. If you know people with lawns, can always offer to dig out some plants.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I just ordered dandelion seeds.

My soil is in the copper deficient belt. And dandelions are listed as an excellent source for copper for my dairy goats. I hope to be able to start them in the fence row, or near it, so they can spread to the pasture.

I grow many, many weeds, but alas, dandelions aren't one of them, I think because I wanted it...

I am currently feeding the goats sunflower seeds to boost their copper levels. So, I plan to grow sunflower seeds too.

Copper deficiency in goats lead to many health issues. Some owners are feeding boluses of copper filings to their goats to meet their needs.
I would rather try to feed them dandelions.

I wonder if my lack of dandelions is because I have had goats all the years that I have been here, and goats only stay in their pasture when they want to.

I also wondered about how to grow them.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”