Susan W
Greener Thumb

Lemon Grass

I have several containers (10-12") of Lemon Grass, all doing well and outside. I know it doesn't like cool-cold temps, and have a couple of weeks before it needs brought in. For those of you who may have/are growing it, do you divide into smaller (gallon type) containers before bringing in, or divide come spring? I was cutting off a few stems today for the farmers market, and noticed the pot has lots of roots. I want to harvest yet have plenty left for division and selling starts in gal pots in the spring.

FWIW, I usually have one pot at my booth at the market, and people are wanting starts. I tell them to wait until spring as it doesn't winter here. I have seen more containers of it around town as an ornamental on step or deck.

In the equation I do have a basement area with some natural light and fairly constant 60 ish temp which is where this will live. The washer-dryer are there, so lots of checking it.

applestar
Mod

If you are going to sell them in spring, I think I would divide into individual plants now and pot them up in 4" pots. You can trim them to solid stem to save space if you want.

This is what I do for sake of saving space -- I just divide into individual plants (sometimes a clump of 2-3) trim them down and plant in small 4-6" pots and squeeze them in wherever they can fit in the least favorable edges of the sunniest window in the cat-proofed room (if it's grass-y, they will eat them -- spiderplants, ginger, lemongrass.... :roll:) -- I.e. they *might* get a couple hours sun. They get very casual care -- sometimes overwatered, sometimes dried out -- and still need to be trimmed 2-3 times before weather warms enough t plant them out. They will each form a clump by the end of the growing season.

That said, inaddition to one potted up and inside already, I have two dug up clumps in plastic grocery bags in the garage (dim light, almost dry) waiting to be processed. They've been cut down to solid stems. I usualy end up dividing them, chopping freezing some, and giving away some bareroot to friends who can pot them or eat them their choice and already potted to less gardening savvy friends who may want to grow them. It's one "houseplant" I can give away with confidence because they are practically unkillable.

I guess alternative for you is to keep them in the big containers for now, give them a bit of rest (cool/cold, barely moist, low light) until after solstice/late January then pot them up in singles.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for suggestions! I like the idea of dividing in Jan, as in putting it off for now! It looks like they can stay out for another week or 2.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Quick question, I bought a piece of lemon grass from the grocery store, about 3 weeks ago, for .19 cents.

It was really quite brown, but it's been in water ever since I got it, it's going
really nice and green, filling out and "looks" like something maybe starting to grow from the bottom.
I'm hoping it is going to throw out some roots, Does anyone think it will???

If it does, how long should I keep it in the water? Until it gets a real good root system?
It sure can't go outside in -32 degrees. Brrrrr. I don't like winter. :(
Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

Aida

I'm curious about your question, too, Green Mantis. I really want to grow my own lemongrass as well. Hopefully it's possible the way you're doing it!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Green Mantis wrote:. . . I'm hoping it is going to throw out some roots, Does anyone think it will???

If it does, how long should I keep it in the water? Until it gets a real good root system?
It sure can't go outside in -32 degrees. Brrrrr. I don't like winter. :(
Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D
I have done exactly that, Green Mantis. Probably will again this year . . .

Once, I tried to grow lemon grass from seed. Kind of pathetic plants - might have been the variety, or the process :roll: .

Lemon grass in water fairly quickly develops nice roots. When they are about 2" long, the plants can go in some light planting mix. Well-watered for a week or so, they should be fine!

Green Mantis, I don't think either you or I would get lemon grass thru our winters. Don't know but don't think so - maybe in the crisper drawer of the fridge.

Steve

edited to add: Did you know that the Centigrade & Fahrenheit temperature scales meet at minus 40°? Yeah, -40°F = -40°C. (I'm just saying this to thoroughly terrify these southern gardeners :wink:.)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

You should be able to winter lemon grass outside, Aida. Some do here if planted in the ground and mulched with straw etc. I brought my pots inside. A couple of mine are still showing green leaves, especially one by a window and watered.
In the next few weeks when it is pretty hope to take them out, cut back, divide and pot some up in gal pots to sell at the market. I bring leaves for one customer, well for her kitty who loves them.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Susan W......It would "never" grow outside here as digitS said. Brrrrrr

It's cold and snowing outside right now. Awful weather, Yuck. I don't like winter. :(

I had never seen it in stores before ( unless I just didn't realize what it was? ) but this one is getting much fuller and greener than when I first got it.
Probably had a big drink and filled up with water, lol. But thanks digitS, I think it will root, I'm excited about it.
Love to experiment with things like this. It's fun. :D

Southern gardeners don't realize how lucky they are. :wink:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Quick update on the lemongrass, It's "rooting" Soooo excited!

I'm going to get a few more stalks, so when I plant in a pot it's not all by it's self. :D

Happy Days

I am so glad to hear that. I've been wanting to grow lemon grass but didn't know if I could use what they sell at the grocery as a start and start it in water. I'm definitely going to try it! :D

applestar
Mod

Excellent! After danger of frost, try planting some in the ground. They take off and grow into a big clump by fall -- then you can harvest, divide and pot up to keep inside for the winter.

I'm using them as "ornamental grass" in my Front Yard Edible Landscape. :wink:

Aida

I've heard multiple times that lemon grass does wonders at keeping away mousquitoes.

Happy Days

I will applestar. Makes me look forward to going grocery shopping. :shock:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Oh boy, I didn't know it would keep mosquitoes away....YAY...

Yes I got mine from the grocery store, it's doing great and got 5 more yesterday.
I love experimenting like this. :D

Aida

Mantis, I'm searching for it at the store now, too. No luck so far. :[

And I found out about it's skeeter repelling properties thanks to a Pintrest post. :lol:
I googled it, too, and tons of websites swear by it. I wonder if you could juice it and make it into a spray, instead of that sticky, gross bug spray junk...

imafan26
Mod

lemon grass is a close relative of the citronella plant that is used to make citronella candles. Actually a lot of lemon scented herbs are mosquito deterrents like lemon thyme.

Happy Days

That's another great benefit. Herbs are such wonderful plants! :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Aida......If you can't find it in a regular grocery store, maybe a chinese grocery would have some stalks?
Or ask your grocer if they would bring some in for you?? Just a thought.

Good Luck in your hunting, let us know if you find some. :D

Happy Days

I didn't find any this week either but I think I will at some point in time maybe on into the spring months. I will check at another grocery nearby as well. I'm eager to get them started. :roll:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”