PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:Im sorry but strawberries will NOT work there. Those plants are awfully small for 3 years. I would go dig it up and put it where you were going to put the berries.
Why wouldn't they work there?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: RE LAVENDER

edelweiss wrote:I was suggested by a neighbor to grow lavender. I have heard lavender spreads like crazy, just like mint. Is that true? If, how else could I plant it for I love the smell of it.
No not true. Lavender does not put out rhizomes like mint. It mostly gets to be a bigger and bigger bush. Actually if you are in zone 5, you are right at the limit of cold hardiness for English lavender and too cold for the French varieties. Being so cold, lavender will die back in winter. It will not spread and it will not get very big. Give it some winter protection to be sure it survives.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

I'm inclined to say there may be some points to re-consider about planting strawberries in front of these herbs.

1. Cynthia mentioned the water needs issue
2. I'm thinking you would fertilize the strawberries or any veg's you grow, ending up supplying more fertilizer than you'd want to give herbs which tend to lose their scent when over fertilized.
3. Lavender prefers "lime" soil and so do sage and rosemary. Strawberries can take a range of soil pH but prefers a little on the acid side and can even share pH range with blueberries.

How about planting more herbs and making this an herb garden all together? I'm planning to plant Mexican Mint Marigold a.k.a. Texas Tarragon next year and am thinking that might be a good fit here. Thyme and oregano maybe other choices as well as marjoram.

Looking at the photos, I curious -- where does the rain spout drain out? Also, does the air conditioning unit condensation water drain out somewhere near here too? -- I've planted water-loving raingardens to take advantage of the rain spouts, and I have a swamp azalea that was sustained by the a/c unit condensation drain in its young years. (Now its huge and has grown deep enough roots to survive the yearly drought)

edelweiss

THANK YOU

Thank you rainbowgardener for your info on lavender. Will try next year to grow ,,English Lavender'' as you suggested.

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO GROW LAVENDER FOR NEXT YEAR :?:

edelweiss

Thank you

Good morning Marlingardener how are you? Thank you for your so prompt reply. That's what I thought!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”