What should I do to my Cilantro plant to get rid of these ball things

Do nothing. They are harmless and will go away.
No votes
Water less. The balls are coming from moisture.
No votes
Spray with EcoSmart Organic Garden Insect Killer - https://www.ecosmart.com/products/garden-insect-killer/
No votes
Spray with ROSE RX 3-IN-1 NEEM OIL
No votes

Total votes: 0
blingblong
Newly Registered

Small round, soft, gooey balls covering my Cilantro plant

Does anyone know what these things are? Are they bad for my Cilantro?

When I touch them they don't seem to be live bugs or anything. They are soft and if I pinch them between my fingers they have a gooey texture kinda like a booger.

If they are bad, any specific advice on what I should do to keep my Cilantro healthy?

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Your cilantro has bad infestation of aphids. Black ones and green ones. White things are their skin after molting.

They are sucking pests and bad for the plant. You can see the leaves starting to curl and some leaves are starting to lose chlorophyll, making them look pale.

If these are in a container, laying the container on its side and dipping the leaves in mild soapy water or spraying with mild soapy water, waiting 5-10 minutes, then rinsing thoroughly helps. I usualy use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint liquid soap. I'm not familiar with either of the products in your poll.

It's difficult to treat cilantro because the plant is so delicate. I've had some success simply brushing them off with dry 1" flat waterpainting brush. Squish or drown in soapy water after they are off the plants.

Beneficial insects like ladybugs and green lacewings, spiders, predatory wasps, etc. would make serious dent in the aphid infestation.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”